wiso's AW11 restoration to weekend fun/track car.
Well, I figured I might put a thread up so I can track the progress of my rebuild of my car after the bingle she sustained in Late March 2012
A quick wrap of my history.
I bought this car in July 2010, after getting bored with some previous cars which were just no fun to drive. I have previously had an NA AW11 in 2003 that I restored which I bought with massive accident damage. Then after that was done it was involved in an accident where the other person failed to give way. With the money from that I got myself a sweet little Blue SC Targa in 2004 which I loved. But moving out of home and moving around a lot I needed a car with more room so I sold it in 2006, worst mistake of my life. Unfortunately the next owner had a guy fall asleep at the wheel and write him off. So the new car I got was a JZA70 Supra. And with the headaches I was over cars at this point and sold it in 2008 then just had normal cars until I got bored and wanted a toy again.
My First AW11, How I bought it.
When it was done,
Then its doom.
My Second AW11
Ok so bought this from another MR2 club member. An nice simple NA was exactly what I wanted. However 3 months after buying it the headgasket was leaking. So engine came out for a quick rebuild. I whacked some smallport 10.3:1 pistons in it and put some wade 872A cams in. once back in the car with a couple of thousand kms on it it was burning horrendous amounts of oil, so off came the head out came the pistons and I gave the bores a really quick rehone in place and put her back together. After running in again she was better, this time it only started to burn oil once the oil got a little older 2000km after an oil change then it burnt it at the rate of 1L every 1500km. so still not great but I ran with it. Just tinkered with the car until the accident happened in March 2012.
My third AW11, how I bought it
What it was before the accident
Basically the story
Ok I was coming down the M5 on ramp merged out onto the M5 got upto 100km then out of the line up going up the next off ramp a bloke pulled out onto the M5 lane I was in. but he didn’t fully get out, he half pulled his car out the stopped in the middle of the 2 lanes. I had a bloke next to me so I could not merge, so I had to brake. I just clipped the back corner of his car which sent me shooting across all the lanes of the M5 because the impact had jammed my guard against the wheel with it slightly turned to the right. As I was also slowing I got punched in the rear from a bloke in one of the other lanes who was also traveling pretty fast.
So the insurance company paid the car out, I kept the wreck and I will repair. So now the resto begins. Going all out replace everything I can afford to and full respray.
So I have taken the car down to my Dads place in Victoria to do all the work since he has the heavy equipment for the job and a lot more room.
This is the car ready to head to his place
In July/Aug 2012 I was looking for panels and came across this little beauty from another forum member. RcDarkAngel. I was originally just going to buy the panels from his to fix mine but the car had a lot of other goodies that I really needed like suspension components. I had no need for the engine so we took the engine out and left it with him so he could fix his other Aw11 with the busted engine and I took the rolling shell and dragged it down to my dads at Victoria with my Rav4. Big thanks to sweetpete for the loan of his trailer to do this.
While I was there in sep 2010 I got the rear stripped out of my car and it was off to the panel beaters to get the rear cowel panel beaten out, he could not do this so he replaced it.
here is the car with the repaired rear panel
So I then stripped the donor car out when I was down there over xmas 2012 and started pulling mine down for the pending repairs. There is some rust repairs to do in the windscreen and boot area so dad will get on this before my next visit since he has the time.
while there at xmas I brought the engine back from my old car, stripped it down and using a new engine I got from MR22ZZ I began the rebuild. This time I have decided to go with a stock standard rebuild as the plan for the car is some light track work I really want it to be reliable. The only mods at this stage are lightweight flywheel and adjustable cam gears on the standard 240deg cams.
Feb 2013 So I have just been cleaning parts and dummy fitting things together while waiting for parts from Toyota. I have done some port work on the head and have gone through and reassembled the valves. Done abit of painting bit of polishing.
I am hoping to have this car finished in 2014 so lets see how I go with this goal.
post edited by wiso - 2013/03/04 20:06:39