Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Helpful ReplyHot!The MR2 Australia SW20

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 55
Author
B24
Supporter
  • Total Posts : 2394
  • Scores: 274
  • Reward points: 5133
Re:My SW20 2011/09/29 17:29:00 (permalink)
Yes, on one occasion but didnt know how much fuel was in the tank to know when it becomes an issue. I heard somewhere the pick up is quite good in the MR2 but it really needs a surge tank for safety sake. Just, if your running E85 it is a bigger stress on the fuel system so it may be good insurance to run an external pump and surge tank. I picked one up a few weeks ago but it hasnt made it to the table for install just yet. More than likely next month. Will also fit a purge line to help with fuel calulations.
One thing Im not keen on, is running the fuel system in the boot. Too much heat for one thing, so looking at fitting the surge tank where the power steering pump was located, pump on the other side, fuel line to be fitted under the passenger side of the car away from the radiator lines, along the chassis rail then over to the fuel rail to keep it far away from the exhaust system.
If it works will let you know

Admin
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 2357
  • Scores: 526
  • Reward points: 5039
Re:My SW20 2011/10/02 10:53:46 (permalink)
Well we got to drive the car on Friday though (surprise surprise) we did have issues. The first one was a stuffed ball joint on the right rear. This caused the car to be VERY unsettled down the straight and turn one (it was stepping out) and also when changing direction from left to right. Not entirely a recipe for a confident drive.
The engine also cooked every time we went out. This has happened before so I'm going to pull my finger out and do a complete rebuild of a different engine. I've heard of bores cracking on these engines before that only shows when under load and heat. I did a compression test and also a cooling system pressure test yesterday and both were fine which is a bit strange.
I'm also going to buy a new radiator and remount the heat exchanger a bit further away from the radiator to improve air flow.
Oh well - back to the drawing board!

Mr Glengineering.
Please visit my other forums - 
www.celica.org.au
www.classic-ford.org

My build thread - https://www.mr2australia..m/mr2play/FindPost/47893
Tree
MR2 Deity
  • Total Posts : 1334
  • Scores: 98
  • Reward points: 2970
Re:My SW20 2011/10/03 00:58:34 (permalink)
That ball joint sounds quite hairy and eventually annoying. When was the last time you changed your alignment/steering components?
There's always that reliability issue when you're pushing high numbers I suppose. I reckon a nice 4th Gen 3SGTE is a good cheap fix just drop 'er in and have some fun :) Do you really need 400 ponies?
This is gonna sound crazy and spontaneous but what about an MR-S with a TRD Aurion engine? Those cars are feather weight and I don't need to elaborate on the engine...
GL on the next project!

P.S I have minimal racing experience so you prob shouldn't listen to my advice lol

Admin
Administrator
Re:My SW20 2011/10/10 20:10:14 (permalink)
Here is a video of the last outing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqE47_7_rMM
Note that the first half of the video is very slow as we are checking out the car. The 2nd half of the video shows some faster driving though we are still only running at around 80%

Mr Glengineering.
www.celica.org.au
www.classic-ford.org

Admin
Administrator
Re:My SW20 2011/10/11 21:13:07 (permalink)
New radiator has arrived

post edited by Admin - 2013/12/25 17:30:49

Mr Glengineering.
www.celica.org.au
www.classic-ford.org

Admin
Administrator
Re:The MR2 Australia SW20 2011/12/28 19:13:58 (permalink)
The rebuilt engine should be going back into the car tomorrow or Friday.
I figured out why the engine was overheating. The previous owner had changed the coolant hoses around when removing the heater and created a permanent coolant bypass around the engine! I hadn't realised until the engine was on the engine stand and I could see everything properly.
The coolant line that would normally go through the standard oil cooler and then into the back on the block was blocked off, which also contributed to the cooling problem. I have now put a line in past where the oil cooler used to be and then back into the block next to #4.
I'm not happy though at least I know what the cooling issue was now. It should be reliable from now on.
I had the engine rebored and CP forged pistons added. Rods shot peened and ARP rod bolts.
Fully balanced and all other parts bought from Lithia Toyota. It's best to go genuine Toyota when it's affordable.
New oil pump, water pump, valve springs, harmonic balancer and bolt, new timing gear, TRD thermostat and lots more.
I even bought a genuine dipstick tube and O ring!
I can't wait to have it running (and reliable) 

post edited by Admin - 2013/12/25 17:31:25

Mr Glengineering.
www.celica.org.au
www.classic-ford.org

Tree
MR2 Deity
  • Total Posts : 1334
  • Scores: 98
  • Reward points: 2970
Re:The MR2 Australia SW20 2011/12/29 03:31:53 (permalink)
Can't help but feel happy for you :)
A bit dodgy with the coolant mod from previous owner but atleast the car is perfect now
B24
Supporter
Re:The MR2 Australia SW20 2011/12/29 20:05:05 (permalink)
Looking good.
Im scratching my head about cooling options with the engine, finding some information on it but a little unsure about the flow through the block. The Toyota manual shows the coolant goes from the water pump into the block and head, then to the opposite side of the engine where it is then distributed to the heater,turbo and back to the radiator. The lines to the heater and turbo then return to the water pump via the bypass lines located behind the turbo. They also feed through the oil thermostat/cooler before entering back into the pump to be cycled through the system again. While running a dedicated oil cooler and being a race spec engine, there is no need to run the oil thermo/cooler,throttle heater(imho)or any of the return lines. To me it just looks like you throwing superheated coolant(via turbo) back into the system without sufficient cooling.
Am I missing a coolant line which is used to circulate through the block? Can you clear this up for me?
Have you considered running the turbo outlet into the radiator return line or a mini radiator which can tap back into the return line at the rear of the water pump? After having a closer look at the system today(thanks to your issue) It could help with reducing recycling hot coolant and lower operating temps. I figured the other advantage of removing all the lines(aside from weight..) is less work for the water pump, improved flow rate.

Cheers

Admin
Administrator
Re:The MR2 Australia SW20 2011/12/29 21:25:42 (permalink)
I haven't tested it though I think the water will flow the other way through the coolant pipes to what you described. EDIT - this is incorrect. The flow in all three pipes flows INTO the thermostat housing
There are three pipes;
  • One goes from the water pump and ends at the coolant outlet near the distributor and is switched by the end of the thermostat. i.e. when the engine is warm, this pipe is blocked. That's all it does.
  • Another one goes from #4 cylinder, through the oil cooler then into the thermostat housing. This is not switched in any way.
  • The third one goes from the coolant outlet, then the heater and back to the thermostat housing. This line also feeds the turbo though it's in parallel to the main pipe - the turbo gets its input from the coolant outlet on the head and it's output goes into the larger pipe that feeds back into the thermostat housing.
For the first one listed above, I blocked it.
For the second one, I bypassed where the stock oil cooler used to be and it feeds from the block to the thermostat housing as per
standard configuration. (I have a stock GT4 so checked that I had it correct)
For the third one, I blocked off the end where it would have gone to the heater and also put a plug on the end where the heater also would have connected to the coolant outlet. The pipe still feeds the turbo though.
I remember that Unique Autosports had a SW20 in there a while ago that had cooling issues. They had changed just about everything and I don't think they had it fixed before they sold it. I reckon the heater pipe was looped back to the coolant outlet just like mine was. The symptoms were the same - it would only overheat when running under a lot of power.
Here are some pics of the pipe that goes back into the block next to #4.

post edited by Admin - 2013/12/25 17:32:20

Mr Glengineering.
www.celica.org.au
www.classic-ford.org

Admin
Administrator
Re:The MR2 Australia SW20 2011/12/29 21:30:42 (permalink)
Here are some more pics.
I'm preparing the engine bay at the moment. I'm moving the fuse box to the boot and also fixing the engine loom so I have just one big connector so I can disconnect it easily from the rest of the car.
The wiring is a nightmare at the moment.

post edited by Admin - 2013/12/25 17:32:51

Mr Glengineering.
www.celica.org.au
www.classic-ford.org

Admin
Administrator
Re:The MR2 Australia SW20 2011/12/29 21:51:16 (permalink)
Forgot to answer this question - "Have you considered running the turbo outlet into the radiator return line".
It already does this in the standard config. The return from the turbo goes straight to the coolant outlet on the head (which flows to the radiator) and the inlet coolant pipe for the turbo is from one of the pipes that comes from the water pump.

Mr Glengineering.
www.celica.org.au
www.classic-ford.org

WIDEMR
MR2 Deity
  • Total Posts : 693
  • Scores: 102
  • Reward points: 3736
Re:The MR2 Australia SW20 2011/12/29 22:10:59 (permalink)
Looking good.

What connectors are you looking at for the engine loom? Im also doing the same, with Deutsch autosports, or you can use the HD series, little bigger but much cheaper.

Also notice you have thread sealant on some of the AN hose ends, i wouldn't do that, as the hose end seals on the flare, not the thread, so all the sealant isnt doign anything, but could attract dust/dirt ect.
Admin
Administrator
Re:The MR2 Australia SW20 2011/12/29 23:41:12 (permalink)
I have been told that Subarus have engine loom connectors like the ones I want. I have yet to go to a wrecker to get some though.
I'll post pics when I find something suitable.
Thanks for the tip about the sealant.

Mr Glengineering.
www.celica.org.au
www.classic-ford.org

B24
Supporter
Re:The MR2 Australia SW20 2011/12/29 23:49:32 (permalink)
Thanks for posting the pictures on the build. Its looking good and can appreciate the effort involved. It really is never ending.
Thanks for the info on the outlet at number 4. That really does help but I think that is an outlet that recycles back to the pump with the turbo added to it. It may be there to keep the engine warm in the cooler climates of Japan as it does not cool through the radiator but straight back to the pump. This could be the reason for overheating issues with the MR2 as it does not have a chance to cool correctly under load. It heats up then its straight back into the engine right behind the turbo. With this constant cycle it be causing the engine to overheat. For high temp climates it may not need this.
Here is a link to a diagram where I have based my theories on the cooling system and the path it follows.
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-conversions/46709-3sgte-cooling-system-has-me-wondering.html
The outlet at number 4 could go directly to the radiator with the turbo instead of the by pass system. Maybe it has a added advantage of providing a consistant pressure by cycling back around the system quickly? Just a guess.
Anyhow, it looks like we will be having some fun on the track next year! When Ric Shaw come out to tune the handing, your welcome to come along so he can have a look at your car too.
Cheers

Admin
Administrator
Re:The MR2 Australia SW20 2011/12/30 11:00:44 (permalink)
I'm not so sure that diagram is correct. For example, the pipe from the oil cooler is shown incorrectly. It does not feed back into one of the two pipes - it actually connects to #4 cylinder via a third separate pipe. This is the same on both my MR2 and my GT4. Both are import engines.

Mr Glengineering.
www.celica.org.au
www.classic-ford.org

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 55
Jump to:

© 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5