Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!Pink crust near radiator hoses

Author
Hoonsy
MR2 Deity
  • Total Posts : 437
  • Scores: 52
  • Reward points: 1323
2019/04/02 21:29:31 (permalink)

Pink crust near radiator hoses

Ello poppets,

I think I already know the answer to this however this is my first encounter so figured I'd ask the pros

I've noticed a bit of pink residue forming around my thermostat hosing, and it seems to trail down some of the engine block (I noticed a massive build up next to my oil filter). I last did an oil change 3 months ago and none of this pinky-crust was there at the time so it must be recent

To my knowledge, this crust forms as the coolant dries up. Does this indicate that the hose may be "loosening" from heat expansion,etc. and thus is causing a minor but evidently messy leak? As far as I'm aware, these are the OEM coolant hoses so I wouldn't be surprised if they're nearing the end of their service life

First image is from underneath the car, next to oil filter
Second image is the top of the thermostat housing/coolant hose that comes off it

3 Replies Related Threads

Reddtarga
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 2182
    • Scores: 234
    • Reward points: 4218
    Re: Pink crust near radiator hoses 2019/04/03 12:07:19 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Do you still have the OEM spring type hose clips?
    Even though they can be a PITA to fit, I have found that they are better than the screw type because they always keep a constant pressure when the rubber gradually deforms over time.
    The screw type don't, and will eventually leak.

1990 ADM NA
    Any advice you get from me may only be worth what you paid for it.

TwoDogs
    MR2 Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 246
    • Scores: 11
    • Reward points: 1780
    Re: Pink crust near radiator hoses 2019/04/04 11:26:21 (permalink)
    Depending how often and how much you're topping up the coolant will determine the urgency.
    Also keep an eye on the dip stick for any "milk" on it, that would force an engine out, which ultimately is likely the solution to your leak. If you can get by until say, the next timing belt change, then there are lots of refresh jobs made more simple with the engine out.

Hoonsy
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 437
    • Scores: 52
    • Reward points: 1323
    Re: Pink crust near radiator hoses 2019/04/04 18:37:02 (permalink)
    Reddtarga
    Do you still have the OEM spring type hose clips?
    Even though they can be a PITA to fit, I have found that they are better than the screw type because they always keep a constant pressure when the rubber gradually deforms over time.
    The screw type don't, and will eventually leak.

Still running the OEM hose clips - perhaps the hose itself it starting to split at the ends

TwoDogs
    Depending how often and how much you're topping up the coolant will determine the urgency.
    Also keep an eye on the dip stick for any "milk" on it, that would force an engine out, which ultimately is likely the solution to your leak. If you can get by until say, the next timing belt change, then there are lots of refresh jobs made more simple with the engine out.

Sounds like a solid plan. I do know that the water pump gasket needs to be replaced sooner rather than later so I think I should start saving for a full gasket/hose/pumps replacement so it can be a "do it once" type job
    Jump to:

© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5