Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!Trey's 1993 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Hoonsy
MR2 Deity
  • Total Posts : 394
  • Scores: 42
  • Reward points: 950
2017/03/26 22:32:02 (permalink)
5 (2)

Trey's 1993 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop

BRACE YOURSELF
(refer to plates)

Howdy everyone. After a temporary break, and severe withdrawals, I am back in another MR2. Pretty sure everyone saw this one coming! Little backstory on this one - it's a 1994 imported Gen.3 Hardtop. Never saw myself owning a Hardtop however I've grown to love it almost immediately. Car is 99% stock (bar a turbo timer and the rims?) and very low kms (150,000!) so it's the best platform to start with. So please, everyone follow my journey as I mutilate yet another one of these classics

Plans for now are very simple. I'm going to focus on replacing as many serviceable items as my limited ability will allow me. I finally plan on having this as a "Forever Car" so I want to start my journey with this lil' MR2 to be a reliable one!

post edited by Hoonsy - 2017/08/24 13:09:17

43 Replies Related Threads

5SGTE
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 1736
    • Scores: 127
    • Reward points: 3403
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/03/26 22:39:05 (permalink)
    I have those 'brace yourself' plates with only one character differing from yours. Has obviously been in qld for some time.

Is that a jdm front bar?
    Hoonsy
    MR2 Deity
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/03/26 22:51:13 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    So, the reason for my delay in posting this thread (picked up car a week ago) was because it didn't take long for this one to get interesting! Shortly after purchasing the car, I had my local trusted mechanic do a Pre-Purchase Inspection for peace of mind. Much to my surprise, the car had several issues with it - such as 3 wheel bearings being noisy/excessive play, two front tires were cracked and bald and the driver's side handbrake cable had been ziptied to the caliper as someone broke the mounting bracket! Immediately contacted good ol' trustworthy Kmart Auto who had given the roadworthy (done by previous owner, 1 week before my mechanic inspected the car).

After a lot of back and forth discussion and threatening legal action, reinspections, etc. - Kmart is finally paying up! So luckily for me, I'll be getting $1200+ worth of repairs free of charge thanks to their negligence. Couldn't of worked out better for me

Vehicle will be in top-top shape and ready for some cosmetic surgery, starting with those god awful rims! Already have my replacements in the shed, hopefully will have them wrapped in fresh rubber and installed this weekend :)

Oh and how could I forget the engine bay photos..

This is how she looked when I first picked her up. Very disgraceful, I know!

<< PHOTO REMOVED DUE TO PHOTOBUCKET NEW RULES >>

Luckily my mate and I put a quick end to that. Unfortunately it's not squeaky clean but it's an improvement nonetheless.. we had nothing but toothbrushes and degreaser. We did okay however I'd love to a proper full engine degrease - I'm just worried as I've never done one before and don't want to kill anything electric

<< PHOTO REMOVED DUE TO PHOTOBUCKET NEW RULES >>

post edited by Hoonsy - 2017/07/29 19:28:43

Hoonsy
    MR2 Deity
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/03/26 22:53:55 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    5SGTE
    I have those 'brace yourself' plates with only one character differing from yours. Has obviously been in qld for some time.

Is that a jdm front bar?

From what the previous owner (eldery grandmother!) said, she had owned the car and lived Brisbane local for the past 12 years. She had purchased it off the importer of the vehicle, a 30 year old Japanese woman. So I suppose this particular Deuce is very much a girl's car haha

Not sure what the difference would be - looks like a regular bar to me. My 1994 ADM Bathurst had an identical one, just without the side moulded indicators (did have the fender ones however). As for the foggies - I think these are aftermarket/modded in as they don't look factory to me?
    Nik_Lee
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 473
    • Scores: 105
    • Reward points: 1546
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/03/27 08:50:23 (permalink)
    Congratulations on the purchase, JDM 94 hardtops are the best ;-) (Biased opinion) looks like a good car to start with good luck with it.
    Fast Eddie
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 212
    • Scores: 41
    • Reward points: 889
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/03/27 09:00:19 (permalink)
    Good Find, Hoonsy

1990-GT-Turbo

Dudeman
    • Total Posts : 2579
    • Scores: 237
    • Reward points: 3431
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/03/27 09:21:21 (permalink)
    Hoonsy
    5SGTE

Is that a jdm front bar?

Not sure what the difference would be - looks like a regular bar to me. My 1994 ADM Bathurst had an identical one, just without the side moulded indicators (did have the fender ones however). As for the foggies - I think these are aftermarket/modded in as they don't look factory to me?

Great find! That engine bay looks great in the before and after pics - not an easy thing to come across a non modified engine bay, I reckon you'll keep its value up if you maintain it just like that.

Pretty sure that front bar is just the standard front bar with the fog lights crossed off the want list. Those lights in there are definitely some aftermarket add-ons.

robk
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 2228
    • Scores: 231
    • Reward points: 3515
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/03/27 09:51:11 (permalink)
    Welcome back!
    As Dudeman said, it's very rare to find such a stock engine bay in these cars. 
    I'm pleased to hear that the rims will be the first thing to go.

President of the MR2 Club of NSW. 
    There is an extensive build thread for my car here: http://www.mr2australia.com/mr2play/tm.aspx?m=18316
    Hoonsy
    MR2 Deity
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/03/27 14:34:52 (permalink)
    Nik_Lee
    Congratulations on the purchase, JDM 94 hardtops are the best ;-) (Biased opinion) looks like a good car to start with good luck with it.

Thanks mate! And yes, I'm definitely a tin-can top fan now. To be honest, I almost immediately preferred it over targas. The roof line is much smoother, plus no more stupid leaking during torrential downpour is a nice thing :)

Fast Eddie
    Good Find, Hoonsy

Thanks mate!

Dudeman
    Great find! That engine bay looks great in the before and after pics - not an easy thing to come across a non modified engine bay, I reckon you'll keep its value up if you maintain it just like that.

Pretty sure that front bar is just the standard front bar with the fog lights crossed off the want list. Those lights in there are definitely some aftermarket add-ons.

I feel like the engine bay is a total hole right now. I intend on keeping it fairly stock but would love to do a "OEM+" approach. So keep the stock look but maybe with brand new silicon hosing, etc.

It's hard because a stock MR2 is rare - but a modded MR2 is more fun haha

Not sure if I'm happy with the foggies either. I feel like the proper OEM MR2 foggies look nicer and fill the bar in much nicer

robk
    Welcome back!
    As Dudeman said, it's very rare to find such a stock engine bay in these cars. 
    I'm pleased to hear that the rims will be the first thing to go.

I had already agreed to meet with the seller of my wheels the night I bought the car haha
    It's a shame as the previous owner adored the wheels but different strokes for different folks I suppose

Hopefully the new shoes will do the car justice once they're on

Hoonsy
    MR2 Deity
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/05/16 19:07:51 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Howdy y'all,

Few small improvements so far. Did change spark plugs, oil and air filter. Spark plugs (no photos) and air filter looked well over-due, glad I jumped onto them! Unfortunately I noticed that my thermostat is gone also.. will need to jump onto this soon. Would like to do my fuel filter while I'm at it, just thinking of the little serviceable stuff that probably hasn't been done since the car was made in factory..

However nobody really cares about the small stuff so let's get onto the new wheels, yay! Specs are as follows:
    Fronts are Enkei RPF1 17x8 +35 equipped with Bridgestone Potenza RE003 215/40
    Rears are Enkei RPF 17x9 +35 equipped with Bridgestone Potenza RE003 245/40

Photos are subpar as it was a crummy day so didn't spend long outside. Hoping to get some sharper pics at the next meet! Still need to get some center caps and some flashy wheel nuts, sussing out my options at the moment. And yes, my car is filthy and no, I won't do much about it :)

<< PHOTOS MOVED TO ORIGINAL POST DUE TO NEW PHOTOBUCKET RULES >>

post edited by Hoonsy - 2017/07/29 19:28:06
    Hoonsy
    MR2 Deity
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/07/29 19:41:22 (permalink)
    Yo-yo,

Been creating a stockpile of parts that I need to get around to installing.. unfortunately work and recent lifestyle changes are keeping me from getting enough free time to get it all sorted. Have a few more bits I'd love to get installed sometime soon such as a Greddy EBC, RacerX ceramic coated side mount intercooler and an unidentified aftermarket 3-inch ceramic down pipe.

Luckily I've tried to stay focused and have achieved some progress. First job being flushing out the old green coolant and replacing with proper Toyota red concentrate 50/50 mix with distilled water. Unfortunately this was long, long overdue and the anti-corrosion inhibitors in the green coolant must of expired centuries ago as it looks like the inside of the pipes were rusted out (took ages to flush out)

Whilst doing this I decided to change out the thermostat as the car had some difficult reaching operating temp. Very glad I did this as after pulling the original, it became known that the valve had completely rusted away effectively creating a permanently open thermostat (see picture below)

seasalt
    MR2 Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 112
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 445
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/07/30 01:06:31 (permalink)
    Dunno if useful, but:

"OAT is recommended in engines with aluminum components (heads or radiators) because Borates can be bad for them.
    OAT coolants also have extended lives, up to 150,000 mi.

OAT corrosion inhibitors provide excellent long-term protection for aluminum and cast iron, but may not be the best choice for older cooling systems that have copper/brass radiators and heater cores, especially the lead solder used in them. It depends on the formula."

AFAIK, Toyota's red coolant is OAT (Organic Acid Technology) type.

Hoonsy
    MR2 Deity
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/07/30 14:24:20 (permalink)
    seasalt
    Dunno if useful, but:

"OAT is recommended in engines with aluminum components (heads or radiators) because Borates can be bad for them.
    OAT coolants also have extended lives, up to 150,000 mi.

OAT corrosion inhibitors provide excellent long-term protection for aluminum and cast iron, but may not be the best choice for older cooling systems that have copper/brass radiators and heater cores, especially the lead solder used in them. It depends on the formula."

AFAIK, Toyota's red coolant is OAT (Organic Acid Technology) type.

Not sure what you're trying to point out, sorry mate. I've just gone based off the official owner's manual/BGB which states to use a 50/50 mix with Toyota red concentrate. A lot of other members have agreed that it is the ideal solution

I have no idea what type of formula the green coolant was, as it was in the car when I first bought it
    Hoonsy
    MR2 Deity
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/07/30 17:05:54 (permalink)
    Ordered in a new set of OEM ignition leads as well as a distributor cap and rotor arm. It was a really nice and easy swap over, apart from the ignition leads harness cover (seen below) being the biggest pain in my ass. Unfortunately broke two of the retaining clips in the process but thankfully it doesn't really matter

Also included comparison photos of old vs. new parts - glad I decided to do this. Although I don't really have any ignition issues such as misfiring,etc. I definitely felt like the car was more responsive and smoother after swapping these old corroded parts out

Very excited also as I'm booked in tomorrow for a clutch replacement. Ordered a full Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit, including a brand new OEM clutch slave cylinder, braided clutch line and a replacement shift selector bell crank bushing (unpictured) which should hopefully improve gearshift feel

post edited by Hoonsy - 2017/07/30 17:10:30
    seasalt
    MR2 Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 112
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 445
    Re: My JDM 1994 Gen3 GT-S Hardtop 2017/07/30 17:35:32 (permalink)
    That different coolants suit different metals or combos, and that the red is probably best, so yr doing the right thing.. I think.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:

© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5