Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!How to remove fender indicators

Author
Hoonsy
MR2 Deity
  • Total Posts : 401
  • Scores: 43
  • Reward points: 950
2017/04/05 17:55:55 (permalink)

How to remove fender indicators

Something that bugs me about my newly acquired 94 hard top SW20 is that is has both the front "toblerone" indicators (commonly seen on pre-Rev4/JDM models I believe) as well as fender mounted indicators - I assume this was for compliance while it was imported.

I'm not a big fan of having essentially 3 indicators on the front end and would like to remove one of them. I prefer the tolberone indicators as I feel it compliments the body style more - the ADM fender ones feel like a Yaris parts bin lastminute retrofit. Photo below is of my car, shows both indicators in question

What would the process involve? I've never really deleted an electrical component like this before so I'm unsure how you'd handle the wiring side of it. Bodywork seems easy enough - either get a replacement strip for the toblerones if deleted (and colour match as usually they are black) or get the fender panel bogged/sprayed if I delete the fender indicators

6 Replies Related Threads

Deevon
    MR2 Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 254
    • Scores: 4
    • Reward points: 2911
    Re: How to remove fender indicators 2017/04/06 10:24:35 (permalink)
    I don't really have much advice on the topic, but I have a 1990 imported GT without the fender indicators so not sure it was a compliance thing
    5SGTE
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 1757
    • Scores: 131
    • Reward points: 3403
    Re: How to remove fender indicators 2017/04/06 11:19:49 (permalink)
    If you leave the plug with nothing plug in it'll be fine just tuck it out of the way. However might be interesting to see how it's been wired if aftermarket.

Please don't bog the holes, it'll crack and fall out. Can weld a filler panel in or swap with guards that don't have the hole.

SW20TT
    MR2 Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 40
    • Reward points: 321
    Re: How to remove fender indicators 2017/04/06 13:29:06 (permalink)
    My MR2 model only had the 'Tolberone' indicator which I removed.

I say remove the tolberone indicators because its the easier option and it gives it a cleaner look. I have a red pair of plain side mouldings (indicator delete) for sale if you're interested.  
    Hoonsy
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 401
    • Scores: 43
    • Reward points: 950
    Re: How to remove fender indicators 2017/04/06 17:03:42 (permalink)
    Deevon
    I don't really have much advice on the topic, but I have a 1990 imported GT without the fender indicators so not sure it was a compliance thing

Maybe it depends when it was imported. Fender indicators were introduced sometime late 90s/early 200s weren't they?

5SGTE
    If you leave the plug with nothing plug in it'll be fine just tuck it out of the way. However might be interesting to see how it's been wired if aftermarket.

Please don't bog the holes, it'll crack and fall out. Can weld a filler panel in or swap with guards that don't have the hole.

I came to the realization that I don't even know which indicators were wired in, so I put one indicator on and got out to have a look. Looks like my toblerone indicators aren't wired at all, so I guess that kind of answers my question as to which one to delete!

SW20TT
    My MR2 model only had the 'Tolberone' indicator which I removed.

I say remove the tolberone indicators because its the easier option and it gives it a cleaner look. I have a red pair of plain side mouldings (indicator delete) for sale if you're interested.  

As I said to 5SGTE above, I think I'll delete the toblerone ones also - mine aren't wired up so it'll be the easiest option. I'm interested in the side mouldings, could you PM your sell price? I'll need a rough postage quote also to Gold Coast 4215

SW20TT
    MR2 Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 40
    • Reward points: 321
    Re: How to remove fender indicators 2017/04/07 08:05:59 (permalink)
    PM'd
    jaycrab
    MR2 Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 21
    • Scores: 3
    • Reward points: 93
    Re: How to remove fender indicators 2017/09/13 12:17:40 (permalink)
    SW20TT
    I have a red pair of plain side mouldings (indicator delete) for sale if you're interested.  

Hey - are these still available?
    Jump to:

© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5