Body now has 202,000 km.
Motor now has 33,000 km.
On the blue stayfast top purchased March 2016, I guess I should have avoided leaving it outside, as the rear window glue gave up and the glass fell in earlier this year. I went to the local windscreen people (big mistake, as they had zero experience with convertibles), and the adhesive they used, same as for steel frames, gave up after a month.
Many YouTube how to vids later, and purchase of 3M-8609 Windo-Weld Super Fast Urethane, 08609, Black, 10.5 fl oz Cartridge, some 3M Single Step Primer 08681 125 mL 8681, and (optional) 1/10/20PCS M4 Thread 40mm Suction Cups With Knurled Nut Clear for kitchen AK.
To clamp the glass to the top, I cheaped out and made my own. There are clamps designed for this though.
I also bought a Xtorque X3125 123mm (5") 120Kg Triple Heavy Duty Glass Suction Lifter from Sydney Tools, to be sure to be sure....
I had to clean away the adhesive residues. Used my dremel with a fine wire wheel. I now had double trouble, as a metal reinforcer had come away from the stayfast top, and I had to glue that back before I could re-attach the glass. I used E6000 craft adhesive.
Once the reinforcing piece was back in, cleaned off the glass. As per YouTube instructions, bought a packet of swabs to apply the Single step Primer. They said to not redip them when they run out, but use a fresh one. The primer, apparently, makes the re-gluing more UV resistant. I did the window all the way round, and left it to dry.
Later, came back, and put a run of Windo-Weld all the way round and then pulled the glass up into place with ratchet straps and the Xtorque triple suction cup thingo. Then applied all my home made clamps. Left it 48 hours.
Road testing in the rain, had one tiny leak behind driver onto the parcel tray. Got a new nozzle for the Windo-Weld, and went around the entire glass laying a tiny bead all the way around. Smoothed it with bits of clean rag dipped in mineral turpentine. The Windo-Weld is too messy to just keep using the same rag. Used multiple rags.
A day later, cleaned off any smears, residues, and edge excesses with an exacto blade and scalpel.
Not as good as a new top ($1000), but more economical.
post edited by seasalt - 2021/06/30 14:19:28