A report into three deaths during the Targa Tasmania rally earlier this year has made sweeping recommendations that the authors concede will add significant costs to the race.
Three drivers — Leigh Mundy, Dennis Neagle and Shane Navin — died in two separate incidents in Tasmania's west and south
during the rally in April.
On Thursday, Motorsport Australia containing 23 recommendations, including avoiding roads where speeds of 200 kilometres per hour or more could be achieved.
"Speeds in future will only increase as car design improves and unless action is taken, it is sadly only a matter or time before further injuries and deaths occur," the report said.
The report recommends changing up the event's routes, saying the "familiarity with running essentially the same route each year encourages complacency and less desire to perform reconnaissance", where competitors would inspect the track.
It noted Targa Tasmania's submission that prior to this year's race some competitors were unable to enter Tasmania prior to the race to undertake reconnaissance, due to COVID-19 border restrictions.
"If border restrictions prevent crews in the unrestricted competition field from undertaking reconnaissance, the tribunal is of the view the event should be deferred until they can do so," the report authors recommended.
Veteran driver Shane Navin died on day five of the six-day tarmac rally after he lost control of his car on a bend during a stage of the rally on Tasmania's west coast.
On the final day, Mr Mundy and Mr Neagle were killed when their car veered off the road near Cygnet, south of Hobart.
After the crashes, Greg Crick, who won the inaugural Targa Tasmania event in 1992, said the open speed limits should be examined and ultimately reduced before more lives were lost in the event.