The seals that were supplied by Domestic Gasket were in an Evergreen outer bag with an inner bag labelled “Valve Stem Seals Viton Material”. I wondered about using some of these Viton seals in place of the SuperTech polyacrylate(?) intake seals however the mouldings of the Evergreen seals looked a bit rougher than the SuperTech seals so stick with all SuperTech.
I made a wooden jig for the head assembly that significantly helped me with the valve spring retainers. The valve stem was vertical and the retainers much less likely to fall out and disappear somewhere never to be seen. I had to buy further retainers after initially making this mistake.
The new Toyota V6 valve buckets arrived and looked great.
However they were different to the 3SGTE buckets in that the surface between the shim and the valve stem was thinner by about 0.18mm. This meant that I either gave up on the V6 buckets and looked for some 3SGTE buckets or bought a number of thicker shims. Seeing as I expected to be buying some new shims even with the 3SGTE buckets I went with the V6 buckets and new thicker shims.
Assembled valves, spring seats, springs (note there is a top), spring caps, and retainers.
Then attached the head to the block. It seems that Toyota don’t want you to fit camshafts before the head is attached/supported by the block. So you can’t do valve clearances until the head is attached and the camshafts then mounted.
After measuring valve clearances with the original 3SGTE shims (this is when I found the issue with thickness of the v6 buckets) I was able to calculate what shim thicknessed I needed and order them. Only one wasn’t ex-stock and I was able to go to a neighbouring value and still have clearance within spec. I fitted the shims and turned the camshafts over a couple of times to remove any slack and all but two exhaust valve gaps were within spec. The exhaust specifies 0.2 to 0.3mm and we have two at 0.31mm. The gen III spec went out to 0.38mm so we should be OK. Better 0.1mm too open than too tight.
Next was to fit the oil pump, water pump, pulleys, timing belt etc. One of the timing belt tensioner mounting bolts turned out to have pulled some threads out when I removed it. Seems like corrosion of 30 year-old alloy not good. Fortunately this bolt was the outer mounting bolt and I was able to fit a through bolt and nut.
Fitted the oil pickup and oil pan. The gasket kit came with an oil pan gasket however there are lots of warnings on forums to discard these and go with the Toyota FIPG gasket sealant which I did.
Camshaft cover fitted. Delivery pipe, injectors, TVIS and inlet manifold fitted. COMETIC MLS gasket for exhaust manifold not so good. The instructions say that the brass riveted points must be outside the compressed region however they are not. I contacted COMETIC and they said that I could remove the brass rivets if I was able to align the layers. The studs did a very good job of this together with finger pressure on the bottom edge of the gasket. This also gave better alignment of the COMETIC gasket around the exhaust ports.
Only needed to make one custom gasket and it is in a pretty low-stress area on the intake manifold.
I had an aftermarket CT26 turbo with low use and the axial play looked pretty good at only 0.11mm so I went with this. Being able to invert the engine on the engine stand made the turbo much easier to install. I don’t know how people do this with the engine in the car!
I’ve fitted a cheap oil filter that I’ll swap out after only a few km. And some old plug lead bits as dust covers until I install the plugs. Still a mess of hoses to go but looking like an engine and ready for the car.