Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!1997 Toyota MR2 SW20R Bathurst

Author
SW20R.
MR2 Aficionado
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points: 1940
2020/08/02 18:04:17 (permalink)
5 (2)

1997 Toyota MR2 SW20R Bathurst

Hello everybody.

Been on these forums for a long time but I don't really post much. So I thought I'd use this opportunity to show you my car. This is my 1997 Toyota MR2 SW20R Bathurst. 

Growing up, this was one of my dream 90's Japanese sports cars. I've always loved the shape of the SW20 and in my eyes, the fact that they were mid-engined increased their coolness factor 10-fold. So come 2015, this model was posted for sale by another member (Rizza) and I scored this for an absolute bargain. My first sports car. 

When it first came into my possession it was pretty rough. It had a lot of hail dents, the paint was pretty poor (still is), ran on really bad tyres and the suspension was pretty much rooted. The aim of the game for me was to keep it as original as possible whilst giving it the needed upgrades to bring it into the 21st century. 

Along the way, I got rid of the cheap pod filter and installed the factory air intake. The hail dents were removed and the front bar resprayed. The worn aftermarket headunit was removed along with the barely-working speakers and replaced with the factory headunit and a set of Alpine speakers in the front and rear. 

Performance wise, I've added:

Koni F+R inserts 
Lovells F+R lowering springs
Whiteline F+R anti-roll bars
SuperPro adjustable F+R endlinks
Goodridge braided brake lines
Cusco F+R strut bars
Ultra Racing under-chassis brace

Wheels are Enkei RPF1's. 17x9 with Kumho PS71's on the rear and 17x8 with Kumho KU39's on the front. 

Other additions include spherical shifter bearings and solid shifter mounts. 

Despite 5 years of ownership, this is still an ongoing project. The front end has a clunk over bumps which I suspect is due to the springs not being wrapped and therefore binding with the spring perch. The car came with a replica B&M short shifter which I really dislike. It's as notchy as anything and shifting is massive drainer. I've since acquired an OEM 93+ shifter from PrimeMR2 which I still need to fit. The roof also leaks, for which I've ordered some magic grease to see if that'll help my issue. It'll slowly get there. I've attached some photos below, and yes that's also my GC8 WRX.

I still have a great time every time I hop into this thing. It's as slow as anything, but a car this slow will help me perfect my race craft before I hop into something much more powerful. You gotta walk before you can run! 

post edited by SW20R. - 2020/08/05 13:45:58

Attached Image(s)

6 Replies Related Threads

Adrifto
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 75
    • Scores: 38
    • Reward points: 997
    Re: 1997 Toyota MR2 SW20R Bathurst 2020/08/03 14:16:48 (permalink)
    Welcome! Car looks really tidy on those wheels, nicely done.

Which ultra racing brace bars did you go with? Have they made any noticeable improvement?
    Dudeman
    Supporter
    • Total Posts : 2595
    • Scores: 257
    • Reward points: 4481
    Re: 1997 Toyota MR2 SW20R Bathurst 2020/08/03 19:31:52 (permalink)
    SW20R.
    Hello everybody.

Been on these forums for a long time but I don't really post much. So I thought I'd use this opportunity to show you my car. This is my 1997 Toyota MR2 SW20R Bathurst. 

Growing up, this was one of my dream 90's Japanese sports cars. I've always loved the shape of the SW20 and in my eyes, the fact that they were mid-engined increased their coolness factor 10-fold. So come 2015, this model was posted for sale by another member (Rizza) and I scored this for an absolute bargain. My first sports car. 

When it first came into my possession it was pretty rough. It had a lot of hail dents, the paint was pretty poor (still is), ran on really bad tyres and the suspension was pretty much rooted. The aim of the game for me was to keep it as original as possible whilst giving it the needed upgrades to bring it into the 21st century. 

Along the way, I got rid of the cheap pod filter and installed the factory air intake. The hail dents were removed and the front bar resprayed. The worn aftermarket headunit was removed along with the barely-working speakers and replaced with the factory headunit and a set of Alpine speakers in the front and rear.

I still have a great time every time I hop into this thing. It's as slow as anything, but a car this slow will help me perfect my race craft before I hop into something much more powerful. You gotta walk before you can run! 

Nice to see the car has landed with someone who has taken such good care of it.

Slow? Nah, keep it maintained well and rev it right through, keep the revs up and they are a fast car. Your bum is close enough to the ground to make you feel like you are going really fast! 

SW20R.
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: 1997 Toyota MR2 SW20R Bathurst 2020/08/03 21:16:16 (permalink)
    Adrifto
    Welcome! Car looks really tidy on those wheels, nicely done.

Which ultra racing brace bars did you go with? Have they made any noticeable improvement?

Thanks mate, the RPF1's seem to be a very popular choice on the SW20. They go great on any car. 

For the brace I went with the 4 point brace above the sway bar in the link below. Can't say for sure whether it's made much of a difference or not, I fit it with a whole bunch of other suspension bits in one go. I guess any chassis strengthening is good. 

https://ultraracingaustralia.com.au/product/t-mr2-sw20-front-lower-bar-4-point/

post edited by SW20R. - 2020/08/03 21:31:28
    SW20R.
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: 1997 Toyota MR2 SW20R Bathurst 2020/08/03 21:30:55 (permalink)
    Dudeman

Nice to see the car has landed with someone who has taken such good care of it.

Slow? Nah, keep it maintained well and rev it right through, keep the revs up and they are a fast car. Your bum is close enough to the ground to make you feel like you are going really fast! 

Don't get me wrong I love the car. They handle so well and I love carving up a corner in this thing. But they've got barely any torque and the motor offers absolutely nothing below 5k. I guess the fun is giving it a good thrash to redline.
    PocketRadzys
    MR2 Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 39
    • Scores: 13
    • Reward points: 120
    Re: 1997 Toyota MR2 SW20R Bathurst 2020/08/14 13:01:36 (permalink)
    Very nice mate, car sits beautifully.

I fixed some low speed clunking from my rear end by tightening a gland nut on the rear strut that had come loose. Also had some similar noises coming from worn end links which were replaced. Might be worth looking at those areas even though the end links have been replaced. Obviously the clunking could be numerous things but I found it helpful to try & isolate the problem like that.
    SW20R.
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: 1997 Toyota MR2 SW20R Bathurst 2020/08/16 23:23:21 (permalink)
    PocketRadzys
    Obviously the clunking could be numerous things but I found it helpful to try & isolate the problem like that.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm quite happy with how it sits too for some off the shelf springs. I'll have to have a look around for the noise once I get some time.
    Jump to:

© 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5