Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!White smoke under load, no boost and now dead!

Author
Dalai
MR2 Aficionado
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Scores: 8
  • Reward points: 642
2019/06/09 21:06:11 (permalink)

White smoke under load, no boost and now dead!

I realise that it is near impossible to diagnose online, but currently sitting in the car waiting for a tow truck. With an estimated 90 minutes to 2 hours wait, I thought I would use some of that time and ask the brains trust!

Car is a December 92 JDM hardtop turbo. Nothing fancy with the engine other than a Link piggyback ECU running 14 psi from what I was told.

I had my first track day at Winton today. Second session there was a little smoke under acceleration. By the 4th session it looked like a diesel truck "rolling coal" as the Americans call it and I pulled the pin early. Topped up the oil and coaxed it down the Hume to within 4 km from home.
Was blowing white smoke on light acceleration in traffic, not that I was trying but didn't feel like the turbo was spooling and finally turning a corner closish to home the gears started crunching and all the dash lights came on! Oil was low so topped it up, engine turns over but engine light remains on and it won't start. Fair amount of oil sitting on top of the gearbox...

Suggestions as to what I should look at first once I have the car home?

And more importantly suggestions on who to contact in Melbourne to investigate and work on the car? Ideally Eastern suburbs.

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies Related Threads

Dalai
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: White smoke under load, no boost and now dead! 2019/07/01 18:09:05 (permalink)
    Did some research and result is that the car was towed to G-Force Race Solutions last Friday and they have confirmed that cylinder 2 is damaged and leaking like a sieve!

So engine rebuild it is.

I have been recommended to use a Gen 3 Sump and pump given this car will spend some time on the track.

Confirming what I need to include in my WTB ad I'll be posting shortly. Gen 3 Sump and Gen 3 oil pick up? Quote for the engine lists "ACL High Volume Oil Pump"  so that is the pump covered?

TonyMR2
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 637
    • Scores: 83
    • Reward points: 2005
    Re: White smoke under load, no boost and now dead! 2019/07/01 19:11:05 (permalink)
    If you are rebuilding;
    Have forged expensive pistons at 86 or 86.5mm, then rebuild the 3sgte, 
    Otherwise don’t bother with a 3sgte block, get a cheap 5sfe block (around $100) and get pistons to suit (either 3sgte at 87 or better 87.5, or better again however more machining costs (small in comparison to total costs) + stroker forged pistons though are similar cost to 3sgte forged pistons). Both 5s builds will need this head gasket http://www.atsracing.com/...etails/E-5S-HEADGASKET . No power gain 5sgte but more power at lower rpm, more torque, stronger block to tolerate track abuse.

Second, sump. Gen 3 sumps are hard to get, oil pumps etc can be hard to get as they are only for that gen. Gen 3 Oil pump runs a smaller cog (you need to buy separate generally) and will need a Gen3/4/5 timing belt. That leaves you with a slightly higher running pump than the gen2 due to the cog not the pump.
    Gen2 you can buy a 5sfe (currently $150 delivered)/highflow/ats racing oil pump (15.x gator) http://www.atsracing.com/Parts/Details/E-OILPUMP that will outflow the Gen3 pump (13.x gator). Must read https://mr2.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8741 to understand the pumps.
    However gen4/5 sump has a larger gator/pump at 15.x the same as the highflow, running the smaller cog and outflows the others, has a camshaft sensor (need to buy camshaft pulley, sensor and ecu to accept crankshaft signal). This ends up being the same as the highflow pump with smaller cog so 26% greater flow than Gen2.
    All oil pumps have a relief valve, depending on factors, the oil pressure at mid-high rpm is bled off from increasing.

ACL high volume pump - what’s the cost listed by the mechanic / more than $150. The shop has great reviews and look after mr2 however the supplier list passenger vehicle pump for 3sgte http://www.raceseriesoilpumps.com/oil-pump-applications.html Unless they have a listing on how they engineered it to be better than toyota solutions available and specify their race series specs for 3sgte.

None of the above sumps will help with g-forces of serious track work.  Other solutions from supply canister (pressure valve) through to dry sumps however more expensive.

There is also the moroso sump that is very popular with the gen2 highflow (ats Racing/5sfe) pump used on mr2 that track. The moroso sump offers a higher capacity of oil and baffling. https://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=807 lots of suppliers out there just a quick google grab. Again not saying a toyota or moroso sump is the be all and end all to solve oil track issues - but it’s improvements.

Lastly what camshafts are you running. Camshafts, turbo, boost pressure, various factors that create an unbalanced engine lead to quicker death. 

Blocks; 3sgte Gen 2 is delicate, 3sgte Gen 3 is stronger, Gen 4/5 (caldina) is the later design, 5sgte (aka 98+ block https://www.mr2oc.com/61-3sgte-turbo/395274-how-build-5sgte.html ) is the strongest of the series for race/pushing.
    post edited by TonyMR2 - 2019/07/02 05:59:17

Dalai
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: White smoke under load, no boost and now dead! 2019/07/02 11:25:36 (permalink)
    Thank you so much for such a detailed reply! That is a lot to digest and will read through tonight and investigate further.

Dalai
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: White smoke under load, no boost and now dead! 2019/07/03 22:21:42 (permalink)
    Contacted the shop today. We are going to source a 5S-FE block for the rebuild.
    Jump to:

© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5