Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!Can you recommend a good sports exhaust system?

Author
Flyboy
MR2 Scholar
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Scores: 21
  • Reward points: 3092
2019/02/25 17:03:23 (permalink)

Can you recommend a good sports exhaust system?

Hi all,I was just about to press the order button on a new Legalis Type R Cat back system from Nengun Japan for my 94 GT-S Rev3 Turbo however last night I started reading various forum threads from America etc about it(and other types)
Many have said it doesn't really add any performance and apart from a bit better exhaust sound it seems I might be just wasting my money. Looking at customers pictures of it, the twin mufflers seem to hang down a long way,which i don't find appealing.
Does anyone know of a "better flow than stock" system that features a single muffler/twin outlet arrangement like the stock system?I have posted a pic of the current setup which is kinda how I would like it to remain....but with more performance
Any help or comments appreciated.
Regards,
FB

Attached Image(s)

"The problem with quotes you find on the Internet is that you can't be sure how accurate they are." - Abraham Lincoln

9 Replies Related Threads

TonyMR2
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 637
    • Scores: 84
    • Reward points: 2005
    Re: Can you recommend a good sports exhaust system? 2019/02/25 21:52:27 (permalink)
    Aftwrmarket dump pipe is a great upgrade for flow and highly recommend.

Exhaust;

Berk exhaust available through Gorrila Industries in Sydney. Better flow than stock, most popular, good quality for mass produced, said to be best sound.

Ebay cheapy, dyno as best flow, sounds loud and hated on long drives.

There is “performance” gains and “back pressure” gains from more flow, but what you gain varies based on what boost etc you are running. The gain is not big as many expect for the cost.
    dylmrt
    Vendor
    • Total Posts : 2394
    • Scores: 111
    • Reward points: 3939
    Re: Can you recommend a good sports exhaust system? 2019/02/27 22:04:00 (permalink)
    The only options these days are the berk technology one and the fujitsubo. Contact us if you're interested in either.

Cheers
    Dylan

New/used genuine parts for the MR2 community. Send requests through to www.gorillaindustries.com.au/contact
    2002 3SGTE ST246 N-Edition | 1999 3SGTE SW20 GT-S | 1995 3SGTE SW20 GT | 1986 4AGZE AW11 | Join the MR2 Club of NSW http://mr2club.com.au/nsw/

MG_MR2
    MR2 Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 166
    • Scores: 11
    • Reward points: 668
    Re: Can you recommend a good sports exhaust system? 2019/03/02 17:23:51 (permalink)
    Flyboy, be cautious what you read, much is based on opinion rather than testing etc.

It's been said above, an aftermarket dump pipe (obviously improved because your removing the pre-cat straight away), a 'front pipe' with flex join to suit (goes from dump pipe and past sump), mid section with a cat (from front pipe making turn to join with what you would refer to as the 'cat back' legalis R). That setup (assuming 3" piping, which is realistically overkill for anything not making ALOT of power) will only have the cat and legalis to muffle the sound. The legalis obviously does that through its one muffler (the twin mufflers you refer to are the non turbo version where the turbo version has one muffler running the width of the rear with obviously tail pipes on either end.

Sound is obviously nice and subtle. In terms of power, the above setup will improve flow (and power). If you think better flow = power, try driving an mr2 with just the dump pipe/front pipe.

All of the above is from experience, there is a legalis R sitting on my garage floor, I've had a 3 inch system with mufflers on either side etc
    Flyboy
    MR2 Scholar
    Re: Can you recommend a good sports exhaust system? 2019/03/03 17:19:11 (permalink)
    Hmm...very interesting post MG,thankyou for your insight and comment.
    I was concerned about the rear end look with the Legalis R and thought it used the two muffler set up.
    I also didn't like the huge 4 inch,slash cut end pieces and so i specified to Alan at Nengun in Japan that i wanted the No5 rolled end tips which are available from Fujitsubo.
    https://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/prods/bgtail
    They cost an extra A$277 on top of the Type R system price.
    Similar end tips are available here but having to purchase them and then have them TIG welded on, the price was almost the same as having it done by Fujitsubo. I asked Nengun to make sure the end tips are no more than 3 - 3.5 inch diameter so they look similar to the stock system whhich is what I am trying to achieve.
    How different does the single muffler look compared with the standard (photo above) muffler?
    What sort of performance/feel/sound improvement did you find with the Legalis R and would you recommend me getting that or look further into the dump pipe/B pipe change?
    All opinions/help appreciated.

"The problem with quotes you find on the Internet is that you can't be sure how accurate they are." - Abraham Lincoln
    MG_MR2
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Can you recommend a good sports exhaust system? 2019/03/04 08:09:18 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    We've got similar taste, I know what you mean about the 4inch tips. I also realised when you referred me to that photo I might be referring to an 'older' model of the Legalis (see photo).

Your car is very nice (I've seen your other post) so I appreciate subtle/close to stock modifications. Ttaking aside setup/material/size, which is seperate conversation, I've always been for a nice turbo back system for power/feel, cat back is known to be more for sound/looks.

Attached Image(s)

MG_MR2
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Can you recommend a good sports exhaust system? 2019/03/04 19:08:50 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Flyboy, talk about good timing, I had my Legalis R fitted today (in basically similar setup to what I described) and it sounds great, subtle deep tone on idle but bit of bite as revs rise with no drone. Definitely feels nice and smooth power delivery. I stand by recommending dump/B pipe to go with it. Do they sell a complete system FB?
    Flyboy
    MR2 Scholar
    Re: Can you recommend a good sports exhaust system? 2019/03/09 10:50:43 (permalink)
    Hi MG,sorry for the slow reply,been busy at work.
    As I understand it you have fitted the Cat back Legalis Type R system as well as the modified dump pipe and B pipe setup? Sounds like just the result I am looking for...more power and just a bit better sound.
    What maker provided those mods?
    I'm in discussions with another member regarding a locally produced system as well and will advise you once we have more info re that one.
    Thanks for the update.

MG_MR2
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Can you recommend a good sports exhaust system? 2019/03/09 12:05:42 (permalink)
    It's mostly custom, so it's a 3" dump pipe, 3" 'B pipe' with flex join, 3" smooth bends to a high flow cat then into the Legalis exhaust. All stainless. Something to note, there's a U shape pipe that enters the Legalis exhaust which is actually 2, 3/4" which was cut off and replaced with a 3". Also keep in mind stainless and milk steel technically have different sound properties and the shape/diameter of piping. I'll try get a photo of the setup.

^^^ that is getting very specific and realistically diverging slightly from that probably isn't going to make a noticeable sound/power difference unless you stand there studying it for an hour.

I was going to suggest a video of the sound but sound doesn't come across too well in videos.

The biggest factor in everything I've said is the Legalis exhaust. I spoke to the exhaust shop that did the welding for me (I was going to do it myself but decided I'd have him do it) & he commented on the quality of the Legalis and the weight of it (fiberglass etc inside can for muffling).

In speaking to him re flow it was an inconsequential point as I had said before. The interesting point is most cars (even new cars) would actually likely fail emissions tests (I won't go into the emission standards side of things) because the flow of exhaust gas through large diameter piping doesn't give the cat a chance to efficiently convert gases.
    Flyboy
    MR2 Scholar
    Re: Can you recommend a good sports exhaust system? 2019/03/09 18:28:22 (permalink)
    Hmm, interesting MG thanks for the clarification.
    What did it cost you for all the parts other than the Legalis R setup?
    Gorilla Industries has posted above that they can supply one...hopefully they will read this and give me a quote.
    **Dylan**

Jump to:

© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5