Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!Adrifto's 1990 Gen3 Banana

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Lumix
Supporter
  • Total Posts : 734
  • Scores: 228
  • Reward points: 5347
Re: Adrifto's 1990 Gen3 Banana 2020/09/19 08:37:47 (permalink)
The transformation continues! Nice work on the Bride seat repair.

Which one was the better fitting spherical kit, racerx or primedriven? What bugs me with CRW kit is the need for washes to pack out the bearing so it doesn't slide along the pin. If you hadn't installed the aftermarket shifter box, I would of suggested to rebuild the shifter assembly with OEM parts to compliment the spherical bearings and square bush changes.
Adrifto
MR2 Deity
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Scores: 40
  • Reward points: 997
Re: Adrifto's 1990 Gen3 Banana 2020/09/19 08:52:43 (permalink)
Lumix
The transformation continues! Nice work on the Bride seat repair.

Which one was the better fitting spherical kit, racerx or primedriven? What bugs me with CRW kit is the need for washes to pack out the bearing so it doesn't slide along the pin. If you hadn't installed the aftermarket shifter box, I would of suggested to rebuild the shifter assembly with OEM parts to compliment the spherical bearings and square bush changes.

Thanks Lumix! I'm definitely handier with the spanners than the sewing needles but it came up alright.

I used the primedriven bearings with the racerx spacers. The spacers take up the job of the washers but actually allow more articulation due to their shape. Prime is now selling a set that includes the racerx spacers, so it's an all in one package.

https://primemr2.com/prod...shifter-cable-bushings
Lumix
Supporter
  • Total Posts : 734
  • Scores: 228
  • Reward points: 5347
Re: Adrifto's 1990 Gen3 Banana 2020/09/19 10:53:47 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Awesome, I'm glad they have developed spacers and included them in a kit. Will add them to the growing wish list.

In my experience I found with the CRW kit I was getting shifter shake in 3rd gear on lift off due to what I think was the due to the supplied washers / fitment. After trying solid BRD poly bushes (made shifting across to 1st/2nd stiff) and cheap ebay spherical (poor tolerances). I ended up going back to CRW kit but using my own combination of washer sizes. Keen to try the racerx spacers.

What's on the cards next? Rear suspension kit?

Adrifto
MR2 Deity
Re: Adrifto's 1990 Gen3 Banana 2020/09/19 12:57:14 (permalink)
Lumix
After trying solid BRD poly bushes (made shifting across to 1st/2nd stiff)

I always found this concept a bit strange, it does reduce play but I always thought for such a small and easy component that a true bearing would be the best option, especially seeing as it isnt just axial rotation during linkage movement. Hope you can get some RacerX units soon and see if you feel a difference!

Next up is the rear kit yes, but I am trying to strike the perfect balance between leaving enough time before my next track day, and leaving too much time. I want to get it all sorted with time to spare, but want to minimise the time between getting my alignment and going to track, in case any stray potholes interfere with things. I'm thinking in two weekends time I'll get going on it, because if I end up going the route of pulling the knuckles my rear camber and toe are gonna be all over the place.
SW20R.
MR2 Aficionado
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points: 1940
Re: Adrifto's 1990 Gen3 Banana 2020/09/24 00:47:50 (permalink)
So many new parts, so much jealousy. 

Where did you get your Rev 5 spoiler from? They're a dime a dozen these days...
Adrifto
MR2 Deity
Re: Adrifto's 1990 Gen3 Banana 2020/09/27 21:53:02 (permalink)
SW20R.
So many new parts, so much jealousy. 

Where did you get your Rev 5 spoiler from? They're a dime a dozen these days...

I'm running a Rev 3 Spoiler, which came with the half-cut that was used for the engine swap. All that was done by the previous owner however
Adrifto
MR2 Deity
Re: Adrifto's 1990 Gen3 Banana 2020/10/05 17:18:41 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Managed to get the rear suspension kit installed yesterday. I started by trying to remove the rear outer tie rod bearing. I had heard online that this was easiest done by removing the entire knuckle assembly and getting it replaced using a hydraulic press. I wanted to avoid having the car out of action for that long, and having to pay someone for use of a hydraulic press, so I started looking for alternatives. A $50 ball joint press from eBay turned out to be the perfect tool for the job, allowing me to keep the knuckles on the car. Although it is essentially a glorified G clamp, the sleeves, attachments and overall sturdiness of the tool made the removal of the bearings, and subsequent installation of the steel slug, a complete breeze. 
Both slugs were pressed in under an hour, and from then on the rest of the kit pretty much bolted up.I had to slightly modify sections of my knuckle and tie rod drop bracket for millimetres of clearance, but within no time I had the kit all torqued up and sealed with some black sealant.
The same issue popped up as with the front kit, where I had to loosen the suspension arms to get enough slack from the polybushings, however this did not add too much time to the installation. 

I am yet to drive the car or get it aligned, but I will share my impressions of it on the street in the coming weeks, and of how it performs on track after the 19th of October!
I have been considering picking up boots for the FK rod ends that are used throughout this suspension kit, however they are supposedly rather challenging to fit, and may require trimming to work with this setup. I'll continue to look into it however I won't do anything before track so as not to mess up my alignment again.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:

© 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5