Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation !

Author
Falcon
MR2 Deity
  • Total Posts : 462
  • Scores: 118
  • Reward points: 3704
2018/04/24 08:44:51 (permalink)
5 (2)

We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation !

Wet road works so filthy car by the time I arrive at track. Then instead of his little MR2. me mate shows up in his twin turbo Mazda RX bloody 7.  See what I mean about intimidation. So me thinks when he heads to the dunny his tyre pressures will need some extra attention. After that we get a RX8 with real race tyres and lots of flames out the back and pretty loud too. A three hundred and something grand Porsche and another Porsche that was probably an expensive model. Bloody Hell !!
A GT40 came out for a few laps which was nice to see. Couple of old blokes built it quite a few years ago. Runs well and sure looks the goods. No open wheelers so we are able to just stay out on track. This is exactly what I have been hoping for.
I want to run a long session going as quick as I can to see if the car can take the pace or will gradually overheat the engine or the gearbox will become difficult to shift or the brakes will bugger up or something else will start bleeding.
First off the mark and not a roo or wombat in sight. I have made another suspension change since last time here and it seems to be in the right direction. Still buggering about with the brakes and I suspect the bias might be a little better. A fast right hander under brakes down hill and I think I can feel a little lightness in the steering as the tyres chirp. Might be right front as it unloads ? Maybe ? Dunno. No bite in these bloody brakes. They work but no initial bite. Disappointing ???
Occasionally one or two of the other blokes come out for a dozen laps then disappear again while I keep at it.
I'm an absolute lather of sweat not only from the fear. No roos still ? Slight signs of brake fade after many laps and then getting stuck fair into it. Ease off just a little for a few laps then pick up the pace again and the fade has gone. So it does lurk there.
Having a ball. Checking all sorts of things. This is bloody great.  Sooooooooooo  1hour 20 minutes and almost half a gauge of fuel later and me just about rooted I come in for the first time.  I NEED a CUPPA.
Have a sandwich and a big drink of water. Connect up the power steering. Thorough check all over and out we go again.
Meanwhile the RX7 has been out for a few and in again and out and in and you get the idea. He has some excuses but  not good enough. You know, brakes need alignment, blinker not answering properly, and of course the old needs a tune !  I ask ya ?
Very satisfying day after 208 kms. on track and nearly a full gauge of fuel used. And a bit of bark peeled off the tyres too.
But that's what the b***^^ds are meant for.
This event is coming up again  16 -5-18.  Need a CAMS licence and $50  Need working MR2.

11 Replies Related Threads

Lumix
    QLD Moderator
    • Total Posts : 612
    • Scores: 190
    • Reward points: 4035
    Re: We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation ! 2018/04/24 11:44:37 (permalink)
    Great write up as always! I forgot to ask you on Sunday, did you end up installing the A1RM brake pads?
    robk
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 2325
    • Scores: 274
    • Reward points: 3911
    Re: We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation ! 2018/04/24 12:38:25 (permalink)
    Love your work Doug!
    More than an hour on the track without returning to the pits, that's bloody impressive!

President of the MR2 Club of NSW. 
    There is an extensive build thread for my car here: http://www.mr2australia.com/mr2play/tm.aspx?m=18316

TonyMR2
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 487
    • Scores: 54
    • Reward points: 1661
    Re: We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation ! 2018/04/24 14:38:40 (permalink)
    I can see potential in your words for a short stories book. Few pictures :)

Thoroughly enjoy the read dreaming of driving a Mr2
    rikkir
    Supporter
    • Total Posts : 1265
    • Scores: 230
    • Reward points: 1694
    Re: We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation ! 2018/04/24 15:58:03 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    I've gotta go for a drive to Queensland and join you one day!

Silver 1997 SW20 Bathurst with      

5SGTE
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 1860
    • Scores: 155
    • Reward points: 3680
    Re: We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation ! 2018/04/24 20:08:45 (permalink)
    That's a decent endurance test Doug. Gotta be confident with that.
    Falcon
    MR2 Deity
    Re: We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation ! 2018/04/25 07:03:42 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Bit of a story teller Joel. Haven't fitted them yet as I want to only make one change at a time.
    The late model bias valve was last weeks expedition. = Possible improvement ? Maybe ? Dunno ?
    More negative camber was definitely a success so maybe some tinkering with toe is next.
    Have now turned rear tyres on rims so that will add an unknown to the mix too.
    And one of the bloody things is now deflating in about 2 hours so has to be disassembled and resealed.
    One step forward and how many in some other bloody direction ?
    Learning new swear words all the time. About the only thing I can remember these days.
    Thanks for the thumbs up thing too. Tells me someone enjoys a little of the rubbish I write.
    Falcon
    MR2 Deity
    Re: We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation ! 2018/04/25 10:02:03 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Thanks Rob. But don't encourage him too much.
    I thought it was extra impressive that I didn't piddle meself hardly at all. (Maybe a little bit).
    Have to get thicker aftermarket pads.

Tony. I recon it to be a hell of a long yarn to say basically nothing but a bit of fun though.
    If it encourages some of you blokes to get those cars running that's got to be good.
    Pictures could be a mistake. Both me and car not overly photogenically disposed.

Rick. One day never happens. Yer gotta jest do ut.
    Fly and drive !!  You fly up and drive my thing. Fair dinkum. It's a ripper track and you would really enjoy it.

Kris. Car seems OK. but was an endurance test for my bladder that's for sure.
    Either thicker pads or better elastic seals on the plastic pants.
    Even the standard ones I use are quite expensive.
    I don't give a bugger if I smell a bit funny.
    A lot of my old mates don't need em anymore.
    They are DEAD.
    Shaz
    Supporter
    • Total Posts : 1182
    • Scores: 165
    • Reward points: 3168
    Re: We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation ! 2018/04/25 15:04:04 (permalink)
    Love reading your stories Doug.  
    It always sounds like a great day.
    I don't think I've been in your passenger seat around WP yet.  Will have to remember to ask in October.

MR2 Club of NSW - Club Secretary

1990 SW20 N/A
    WaaaHooo
     I love my little blue 2, she is worth it.  I love my little blue 2, maybe , yes, I love my little blue 2.

http://www.mr2australia.com/mr2play/tm.aspx?m=94040
    Falcon
    MR2 Deity
    Re: We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation ! 2018/04/30 07:57:23 (permalink)
    I'm pleased to hear that someone does enjoy the yarns. They are largely fiction you know.
    The track days are great fun and don't get speeding fines either.
    Shaz. If you had been in my passenger seat on track you would most bloody definitely remember it.
    Several people have been offered rides and after studying my driving from trackside they have just disappeared.
    One bloke actually got in and then asked my age and got out. I guess he figured that I haven't got much to lose ?
    Oh, and thanks for the thumbs up too.
    Knightrous
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 2031
    • Scores: 260
    • Reward points: 3678
    Re: We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation ! 2018/04/30 10:16:58 (permalink)
    I'll ride passenger with you mate, but only if you come for a couple of laps with me ;)

TrackDub - 89' AW11 1MZFE | SlushDub - 89' AW11 4AGZE
    Falcon
    MR2 Deity
    Re: We are back ON TRACK. With Intimidation ! 2018/05/01 06:31:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for both offers but I've seen your driving too.
    Just a reminder for anyone who would like to come to this track practise event.
    Held at Morgan Park Raceway. Warwick.  Wednesday 16th. May. 9.00 AM - 1.00 PM.
    You need to hold a CAMS. license.  Neck to ankle to wrist. Closed shoes and helmet. Cost is $50.
    I would really like to see MR2s turn up as it's a very low key, laid back opportunity to experience some quality track work at your own pace. Brilliant track with lots of undulation and many very different types of corners.
    Beautiful smooth track surface too.
    Jump to:

© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5