Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Gr3nAd13R
MR2 Aficionado
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Scores: 7
  • Reward points: 1144
2018/04/09 12:06:34 (permalink)
5 (1)

Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project

Hi All,

I have been hovering abound these forums for a while now and I have finally be able to find what I have been looking for.

Over the weekend 06/04 - 09/04 a friend and I went for a Road Trip close to the Border of NSW/QLD to pickup the vehicles as well as a bunch of spares.

Keeping this short for the moment and will upload photos later on today after I have finished sorting through everything.

25 Replies Related Threads

Gr3nAd13R
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2018/04/09 17:48:44 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Alrighty

Had a Long Journey back on Saturday, drove around 7 hours and then had rest and sleep overnight. Living in a city and being originally from the country you do forget about the peace and quiet and the nature in the mornings.

Details
    1989 G-Limited - Based on Vin
    Based on looking at this it has had a Gen3 NA swap, no history on what happened and why this occurred but that doesn't really matter moving forward. 
    This also seems to have leather seats? (Was this an option back in the day or maybe something retro fitted?)
    Needs alot of wiring work and interior to be put back together, depending on what I end up finding about the compliance as this appears to only have a AUS Vin Riveted rather than a complete Import approval Plate? Reading up on this as this might be one of the ones that was imported before the 15 Year old rule was changed and pushed back into 1988 instead. 
    Still need to unpack some of the spares that also came back down.

1990 GT - Vin Confirmed
    Have been told that this one has had a replacement engine with a motor that was imported from Hong Kong and was one that originally was in a US model? (Any Simple ways to confirm this?)
    Has cloth seats and bits of the interior need to be put back together, but alot of spares were also supplied so this should be much of an issue. Has a Bomex? Front kit which i'm not a huge fan off but I have a OEM front Bumper with lip so will replace anyway and the car needs a respray to make everything all hunky dory.
    Motor itself on the drive home ran very cool and also looks stock, other than a painted Valve cover. 

I have also been given the original motor that was in the car and was told he was overheated but will prob hold onto this for spares. (Might even build and forge one day)

Pile of parts - Spend most of today cleaning and putting everything away to assess what I have.
    Even have a couple of heads?
    Have a couple of Stock Fuel rails with injectors. (Doing a google I cant seem to find a thread that shows me what each Generation rail looks like? Can someone point out a simple way to see by looking at them?)

Current Plans

• Get the GT Roadworthy and join the Vic Club to participate in events. (Anyone have a stock exhaust I can borrow/buy?)
    • Find out the deal with the G-Limited and assess what can be done to either have that road-registered otherwise will maybe need to continue with the Track car idea the previous owner originally had.
    Feel free to pass on any info you have would be appreciated to learn as much as I can!

Attached Image(s)

Gr3nAd13R
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2018/04/18 20:15:16 (permalink)
    Just realised I hadn't updated this.

Bought some shelving over the weekend so I can actually everything away properly so I can actually fit everything.
    Also vacuumed the inside of the car and went through the parts.

Can someone tell me what was originally in here? Or what its meant to look like originally?

Had a small sub installed?
    Also found a HKS Fuel Rail in the lot, original box pretty much destroyed but everything inside looks good. Literally never used?

Also found some Cams but they have some surface rust, Maybe this can get removed easily.
    Need to try and confirm duration's and lifts.

I found an alternator full of dirt and I see people always talk about a 100amp version? Short of looking at the part number how can you tell this one from the other alternators in the world?

Lastly also seem to have a LSD centre? Does anyone know anything about this one?

Cant seem to see any other markings. :(

Attached Image(s)

Gr3nAd13R
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/05/16 21:34:57 (permalink)
    Relised I have forgotten to update this..
    Sometime before the Green one was rego'd the Black one was sold to another gentleman who was looking to setup and club rego another MR2 as he already had a racecar etc.
    This one has now been Gen3 swapped and now lives on!

13/09/20 - Car was club rego'd in VIC!

November 20 - Decided it was time for more power and Haltech had a Black Friday sale so decided it was time to setup a base for more power.
    As a baseline it made 154KW on a stock motor and turbo.

Swapped out the front bumper for an OEM one.
    Unfortunately this is when things went bad and once the ECU was done the engine was burning oil and was suuuper smokey - Originally thought it was Valve Stem Seals since the car had sat for so long.

Started organising for the engine to have its major service done as I didnt know anything about the engine and wanted to be super safe with it all as well as Gen3 Sump swap it. During the prepation of parts I found a Rev3 Spoiler/Boot and wanted to have the car all matching with the same colour so we did some painting.

It was an OK experience, but friend and I have decided later on we are going to redo this and get some 2pac instead.
    Also picked up some GTST/GTR wheels which I have decided i am a super fan on.

Finished paint result - mind the dirt and everything as we didnt wash the car once we put everything back together.

Unfortunately this next part took a long time for the servicing to be done as the workshop was super busy. But in the end since this was on club plates i didnt end up really caring.
    But I decided during this time to purchase a bunch of things.
    I picked up
    HKS Super Dragger Exhaust
    Recaro SR4 Impact w/ Bride Rails
    SuperKlasse C's Short shifter
    RacerX Intake Box/Catch can and Subframe Inserts.
    Apexi N1 Coilovers - Ended up getting Rev3 Front Rods and Front Hubs w/Brakes
    Desmond Regamasters - 17*8 +35 | 17*9 +38
    Rev4 Subframe and Toe links from Japan

Then I decided I went too out of control for a car that wasnt ready for me so i had to chill.
    I heard back about the car and it ended up that during the inspection, we decided that we needed to get new bearings.

Engine Put back together!

Also decided during this time to replace head gasket, cams, turbo ended up getting rebuilt but this was done after this as it wasnt found it was leaking till after.
    Purchased
    Cometic Headgasket - Gen2 NA cams and Turbo rebuilt by GCG.

Ended up making 200KW - With stock injectors @90% duty - Stock Intercooler.

Its home now so I can start installing the parts purchased and cleaning other bits up.

post edited by Gr3nAd13R - 2020/05/21 18:27:45

Attached Image(s)

B24
    Supporter
    • Total Posts : 2340
    • Scores: 254
    • Reward points: 4697
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/05/19 17:12:58 (permalink)
    Looks like a great catch. It is also great to see it will be restored and not scrapped like so many have been over the last few years. 

Gr3nAd13R
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/05/19 21:01:36 (permalink)
    First package of the next step received!
    ST205 W2A Intercooler!

Its got a few dents here and there but it appears to be structually OK after I threw a bunch of water into it. Cleaned up OK, now to just stash parts in the garage!
    post edited by Gr3nAd13R - 2020/05/21 18:28:44

Attached Image(s)

kojab
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 225
    • Scores: 37
    • Reward points: 3225
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/05/20 21:23:33 (permalink)
    Is it only me.  I can't see any pictures.

92' SW20 3SGTE   GEN2 GT Hardtop Holden Ls1 ECU
    87' AW11 3SGTE   Delco EFI ECU & 21 psi boost
    71' KE25 3TGTE    Delco EFI ECU Standard engine 24 psi boost
    78' KE55 L67        Delco EFI ECU
    Falcon
    Supporter
    • Total Posts : 583
    • Scores: 162
    • Reward points: 4456
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/05/21 06:36:57 (permalink)
    Obviously you and I haven't payed our bill as I can't see any photos either.
    Some little hacker ba###** has pinched em.
    Shaz
    Supporter
    • Total Posts : 1336
    • Scores: 183
    • Reward points: 4002
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/05/21 17:52:58 (permalink)
    Me 3.  I can see pics on the original post, but not on the recent post.

MR2 Club of NSW - Club Secretary

1990 SW20 N/A
    WaaaHooo
     I love my little blue 2, she is worth it.  I love my little blue 2, maybe , yes, I love my little blue 2.

http://www.mr2australia.com/mr2play/tm.aspx?m=94040
    Gr3nAd13R
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/05/21 18:29:20 (permalink)
    Hi All, 
    Thanks for the feedback - I have edited it all and reuploaded everything. Hopefully all is working again!
    Falcon
    Supporter
    • Total Posts : 583
    • Scores: 162
    • Reward points: 4456
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/05/22 07:07:11 (permalink)
    Yayyy. Love looking at pictures. Thanks.
    One way to identify alternators is to try fitting them in their mounting bracket. Turbo ones are physically larger with wider bolt spacing and will not go into the 3SGE bracket.
    Some but not all cars had a plastic grille over a speaker in that spot behind passenger seat and cubby box not lined like the drivers side.
    Diff could be anything as they are supplied by a number of manufacturers. Open it. Clean it. Reassemble and measure it's torque.
    You are doing a great job with the restoration. Good to see another one coming together. They are great little cars and well worth the effort.
    Fast Eddie
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 260
    • Scores: 48
    • Reward points: 2781
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/05/22 15:26:24 (permalink)
    Is that a hook bracket for the exhaust side of the head for the Gen 2 3SGTE I see lying on the floor with all the other bits and pieces ?

1990-GT-Turbo

Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 2256
    • Scores: 485
    • Reward points: 4591
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/05/22 19:03:42 (permalink)
    I think I have one of them available, Eddie.

Mr Glengineering.
    Please visit my other forums - 
    www.celica.org.au
    www.classic-ford.org

My build thread - https://www.mr2australia..m/mr2play/FindPost/47893
    Fast Eddie
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 260
    • Scores: 48
    • Reward points: 2781
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/05/23 09:08:14 (permalink)

I think I have one of them available, Eddie.

P M'd 

1990-GT-Turbo

Gr3nAd13R
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Black G and Green GT Hardtops Rev1 Project 2020/07/19 20:33:13 (permalink)
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry I have been super lazy and havent really updated and/or taken photos of things.
    Ive done a few things since my last post!

I found some Koukis and centre panel and found an extended lock! - Painted the panel with some spare spray cans I have left over.

I had been disappointed for a long time in the headlights and found I had sealed beams - Had a pair of Ray brigs that I was storing while the car was away originally.

Dont mind the dust - I hadnt washed the car at this point. This was during Vic Lockdown 1.0

Now I had been waiting for the last 4 months for my shipment to come in and I got in a spoiler and a set of door trims from a Rev 5 Glimited from Japan.
    I originally thought to myself that I really like the Rev3+ Spoiler but as I kept looking at the Rev5 I couldnt stop myself anymore.

Installed straight on the car - Will probably sand down and throw on some of the left over paint again - but for the moment i dont really mind the two colours.
    I also did the fixed antenna swap using a Celica fixed antenna base with a Honda S2000 Stubby antenna - Fits real well with this spoiler, didnt fit so great with the Rev3.

Also installed the door trims as one of the original owned cut up the GT Door trims :(
    They decided it would be a good idea to cut a hole for a tweeter and they mounted the front speaker straight to the doortrim.

For the moment Il leave this on my self as I am working out to myself if I can remove the suede sections easily and repurpose on.

The cloth isnt as night to touch but it'l do for the momeny until i decide it time for me to change.

Attached Image(s)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:

© 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5