Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!Can One Temperature Sensor for Gauge & ECU work ?

Author
TwoDogs
MR2 Aficionado
  • Total Posts : 209
  • Scores: 6
  • Reward points: 1334
2018/01/24 13:08:37 (permalink)

Can One Temperature Sensor for Gauge & ECU work ?

I suspect that my "Cold Start Switch", which appears to be similar to the Coolant Temp sensor next to it, is not working.
In case I have got their descriptions wrong, I mean the first one which goes to the ECU may not be working, while the other which goes to the gauge, is fine. I can test the Cold Start switch easily enough, but was wondering if it would be easier to have both the gauge and the ECU use the same sensor. At least then it would be evident when the sensor failed.  Right now my engine is running 10:1 rich and not boosting. Together - they are a symptom of the ECU thinking the engine is cold. 
 Now I suspect wiring the 2 "circuits" together would change the resistance and voltage, but my electronics knowledge is only fair. Does anyone have a definitive answer ?  
Thanks, as always....

7 Replies Related Threads

Mrskylighter
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 2100
    • Scores: 154
    • Reward points: 3776
    Re: Can One Temperature Sensor for Gauge & ECU work ? 2018/01/24 13:49:13 (permalink)
    Gen 2 3sgte engine? If so then it has 3 temp sensors in the water neck. One is a cold start switch, another the gauge cluster temp sensor and the last one which is green in colour is for the ECU. 

1989 AW11 Gen3 3sgte
    TwoDogs
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Can One Temperature Sensor for Gauge & ECU work ? 2018/01/24 14:33:43 (permalink)
    Aha, thanks for correcting. I think mine which is early 1990 might not have the 3rd switch. I will check. Either way
    the one I need to test is the ECU one, and my question is about driving the gauge of it as well, so it is obvious to the driver when it is no longer working. 

Mrskylighter
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 2100
    • Scores: 154
    • Reward points: 3776
    Re: Can One Temperature Sensor for Gauge & ECU work ? 2018/01/24 16:33:50 (permalink)
    You can test the green ecu sensor with a multimeter quite easily. The sensor itself is cheapish from Toyota and even cheaper for an aftermarket one.

Attached Image(s)

1989 AW11 Gen3 3sgte
    TonyMR2
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 432
    • Scores: 38
    • Reward points: 1434
    Re: Can One Temperature Sensor for Gauge & ECU work ? 2018/01/24 17:03:00 (permalink)
    As said, generally, water sensors are cheap to replace. You can also remove and lightly sand the surface of the sensor that's inside the coolant neck and they come good in most cases.

Mr2 3sgte BGB for how to test the sensors. Available online to download, or can provide.

First I have heard of your diagnosis; water sensor fail = no boost (exhaust gas spinning the exducer to inducer) as well as ECU activate cold start injector (tiny cc) providing an a/f variance to 10:1.

Hope you get it sorted or someone has more of an answer to help
    TwoDogs
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Can One Temperature Sensor for Gauge & ECU work ? 2018/04/17 17:55:18 (permalink)
    Ok I measured the resistance of the temperature sensor at the ECU and it is fine. Impedance within  the BGB ranges for Hot & Cold.  Ok so I am at a loss trying to work out why my car is running rich. 
    A dyno run about a year ago said 10:1 and 5psi, which is very common according to Dr Google.
    The 5psi is likely to be an old wastegate spring and the TVIS bleed-off not working. 
    Since then I have recapped the stock ECU, fitted an Omori boost gauge and it shows I am getting 9psi, which if true, says the TVIS is working. I am not so concerned about the boost pressure for now, but still the smell etc says still rich. I am at a bit of a loss as to why. I have static tested the MAF and the temp sensors and the O2 sensor.
     I am thinking I'll try to disconnect the Idle Cold Start, and put it on the dyno again. Might get a smoke test done, but I don't think I have any boost leaks....

Does anyone have an original dyno report from when the 3SGTE was brand new around 1991 ?  Perhaps they have always been too rich (ie < 12:1).
    TonyMR2
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 432
    • Scores: 38
    • Reward points: 1434
    Re: Can One Temperature Sensor for Gauge & ECU work ? 2018/04/17 20:42:43 (permalink)
    Why a mr2 runs rich... General...
    Signals to ECU; Incorrectly set adjustment screw in the air flow meter maf, incorrectly adjusted tps...
    Service items; spark plugs, leads, distributor, timing, fuel injectors need servicing, fuel pressure regulator / return fault...
    Annomilies; cold start injector stuck open, faulty valve / carbon issue, camshaft clearance
    TVIS is checked by a boost gauge on the tvis at 4,100 rpm (from memory) - check bgb. Not checked because the engine makes boost.

Yes engines run rich with wide open throttle but it is adjusted by signals to ECU.

Dyno graph from 1991 - lol - I remember those years at dyno workshops and technology wasn't as it is today as it's the time before most people had dial up Internet and were using dos commands. Dyno graphs available online of stock mr2 from more recent years. However if someone has it would be amazing.

Unfortunately at the age of a mr2 there are many things that can be needing attention for optimal running (like new which was 25+ years ago).
    kojab
    MR2 Scholar
    • Total Posts : 182
    • Scores: 21
    • Reward points: 2278
    Re: Can One Temperature Sensor for Gauge & ECU work ? 2018/04/18 08:42:44 (permalink)
    Remove one of your spark plugs and take a picture of it so we can see what it looks like.  Better to take a picture of all four plugs would be interesting.

92' SW20 3SGTE   GEN2 GT Hardtop
    87' AW11 3SGTE   Now Delco EFI ecu & 21 psi boost
    71' KE25 3TGTE    Delco EFI ecu. Unopened std engine 24 psi boost
    78' KE55 L67        Delco EFI ecu
    Jump to:

© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5