Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!Hey all new lad needs some help!

Author
Blackcountryboy
MR2 Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 3
2018/01/13 20:55:35 (permalink)

Hey all new lad needs some help!

Hey all,

Firstly, how you all doing. I've just joined your kick ass forum cos you Aussies seem to really know what ya doing with 3sgtes.

Been reading all the helpful info you guys post for years, and finally just joined.

I've just dropped a rev 3 intake 3sge cam and a HKS 256 exhaust cam into my home built engine.

The timings diffrent tho... I read on here (posted by TonyMr2) that you can drop the intake straight in but the exhaust needs adjusting (guessing the his 256 ain't to different to the 3sge zorst can)? Is this right? Im pulling like 12 hg with them straight up?

No vac leaks...

Pissed about with the timing but even playing with the dizzy ticking over makes no difference to vacuum. Was set at 10btdc with a snap on gun but made no difference so thinking can timing.

Spec is

St205 head
Jun springs
Super tech valve seals
3sge rev 3 intake can
256 exh cam
Work adj pulleys
Gates Kevlar timing belt
St185 block
86.5mm Ross pistons
Eagle rods
Accrilite rings
ACL bearings throughout
ARP head, rod, main, flywheel bolts.
Lightweight flywheel
Cometic 1mm hg
Biiiiiiiggg ass chargecooler setup
Gt2860rs GB turbo
Link plus G1 mappable ecu (**** but was cheep)
Tomei fpr
Bosch 044/300lph internal/external pumps plus swirl pot.
Uprated 8mm lead and brand new ignition components.
Innovate WB lambda
Entire cars sprayed and polybushed.

Confession time... Its a st205 gt4. I've had a couple of crazy fast Mr2s tho hence why I like your site so much!!! My username s the same on Toy mods BTW.

Problem

After zeroing the crank, cams etc it runs like **** and shakes like a crapping dog.

Tried reducing the overlap. Ran worse?

Mild cams, 170-80 psi cold (150+ hot) on every cylinder, wtf.

I live in **** rainy freezing Yorkshire, UK (I'm a brummie tho) so I'm pissed off working outside on the ****. Any tips pls on how to set these cams?

Theres 12 degrees extra degrees duration and the timings different. Not much but for some reason she's running like ****e.

Calling out to the Aussie Mr2/3sgte experts for some advice (in Homer Simpson terms cos I'm proper lost about degreeing them). Just want her to run OK.

BTW how warms it in Oz in January cos its brass monkeys cold here, maybe have to immigrate if it gets any colder working on the red shed.

Thanks for your help/time.

Chris

5 Replies Related Threads

Blackcountryboy
    MR2 Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points: 3
    Re: Hey all new lad needs some help! 2018/01/19 21:35:18 (permalink)
    Anyone? Still can't find the best setting for the 3sge intake cam...
    TwoDogs
    MR2 Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 210
    • Scores: 6
    • Reward points: 1334
    Re: Hey all new lad needs some help! 2018/01/20 17:41:43 (permalink)
    If you have the standard cams, maybe chuck them in to verify you don't have 2 or more issues. 

TonyMR2
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 437
    • Scores: 38
    • Reward points: 1445
    Re: Hey all new lad needs some help! 2018/01/22 17:04:52 (permalink)
    Hi Chris, to clarify;

3sgte and 3sge camshafts are interchangable as in fitting in the 3sgte head. They have different lift, timing and duration, altering the valve movement / air&fuel let into the engine aka engine characteristics. Aftermarket camshafts are also a great improvement in engine performance possibilities where the engine is modified.

Any change in camshafts needs to be matched with supporting modifications that vary depending on camshaft profile and boost. Some basics include adjustable cam gears, valve clearances checked, cams should be professionally dialled in (not just the cam gear says so), and must be dyno tuned by a professional dyno tuner who will adjust the degrees based on the data from the dyno and there expertise in tuning (if you want power earlier or later). This is not a do it yourself / Google told me so.

Shaking engine is hard one to diagnose on forum - how much shake, at what rpm, at what boost. Many checks come to mind to narrow such as checks on fuel pressure, oil pressure, compression and leak down test, fuel injectors (what are your running) and other aspects. Can PM through a few more details, however with your investment best see a professional dyno tuner.

Australia is a big country. In January it's normal to see temperatures as high as 40-45 degrees Celsius during the day, some parts hotter and some colder.
    TwoDogs
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Hey all new lad needs some help! 2018/01/22 17:47:04 (permalink)
    Those compression figures are a worry. Less when hot brings to mind cracks in the cyl head and possible shaking engine.
    Does it shake all the time (all the revs) ?   
    Honestly I doubt if that is a cam issue. 
    TwoDogs
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re: Hey all new lad needs some help! 2018/01/22 17:51:36 (permalink)
    Actually a crack would most likely effect 1 or 2 cyls only.
    More data needed.
    Jump to:

© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5