Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Helpful ReplyHot!Import check

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Kook
MR2 Master
  • Total Posts : 504
  • Scores: 30
  • Reward points: 3819
Re: Import check 2017/04/13 09:17:00 (permalink)
I have to bend the Victorian number plate (and now the historic number plate) to fit into the JDM rear bar. Pretty sure that makes it unroadworthy but it mustn't be checked often as it has passed 3 times with bent plates.
Phiz
MR2 Aficionado
  • Total Posts : 192
  • Scores: 12
  • Reward points: 966
Re: Import check 2017/04/13 09:58:13 (permalink)
Deevon
I have to bend the Victorian number plate (and now the historic number plate) to fit into the JDM rear bar. Pretty sure that makes it unroadworthy but it mustn't be checked often as it has passed 3 times with bent plates.

Doubt it would be unroadworthy as fresh imports need to be complied how they are, and when doing pinks it would mean every silvia/skyline owner would fail on the spot lol. 
Kook
MR2 Master
Re: Import check 2017/04/13 10:08:19 (permalink)
Yeah I've never really pushed the point to be honest but I have a mate who is a cop and he reckons it'd be unroadworthy for the simple reason of a road side camera has to have clear vision of the plates, so you're not allowed to modify them at all.

But, that's just one guy, I wasn't going to argue to the point haha.

Kook
MR2 Master
Re: Import check 2017/04/13 10:10:39 (permalink)
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/number-plates/display-of-number-plates

"If your vehicle makes it difficult for you to meet these requirements, you need to make them as closely as possible. "

Looks like he was wrong
Dudeman
Supporter
  • Total Posts : 2588
  • Scores: 258
  • Reward points: 4924
Re: Import check 2017/04/13 17:38:12 (permalink)
Deevon
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/number-plates/display-of-number-plates

"If your vehicle makes it difficult for you to meet these requirements, you need to make them as closely as possible. "

Looks like he was wrong

No, he was right.  The rest of that link also says, "Number plates must be clearly visible from 20m at all points in the shaded areas marked "A".

'Must' is the word you need to obey, if you have bent them into a JDM slot and it can be seen/read by everyones favourite cameras and people you probably wouldn't have a problem, but if you have bent an angle great enough so they can't you're in the book. 

It also says - for people who may read, "You need to make them as closely as possible" as "Oh I can make my own" - this, "Unauthorised number plates
Displaying number plates that haven't been issued by VicRoads on a vehicle is an offence under the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations (except for 'home-made' plates on exempt trailers). This includes the illegal re-manafacturing of existing number plates issued by VicRoads in a different format, style or material" 

In NSW you can't bend a plate at all to fit, they call it, "Defacing the plate" 

People can always bring up examples where they went through an RBT site X amount of times and the police didn't say anything about the plates - but one day you'll have the pleasure of meeting a highway patrol/traffic cop who really knows the legislation, takes their job very seriously, doesn't have a sense of humour - and spots you out for a cruise in your garage queen. He yanks the plates off your car, gives you a stinging fine and loss of points - and then says as you don't have plates on your car anymore you can't drive it home and must have it towed. Then your breakdown service refuses to tow you as you haven't broken down but have committed on offence! Then the day really sucks.

So if you have a JDM bumper and don't live in a state where they make plates that fit i'd suggest you make some brackets to sit behind the plates so they can be nice and flat and seen by our friendly authorities. As I always go on about, keep your car nice and compliant with road regs, give the ticket writers less to write about for when that day does come - like I kept saying to a member here "Get rid of those blue LED's - you'll get fined" (he did eventually - fined, not rid of them…) some absolute traffic nazi goes all Rommel on your car... 

Locked On
MR2 Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Scores: 3
  • Reward points: 1746
Re: Import check 2017/04/13 18:06:38 (permalink)
Thanks guys that awesome,   it looks to be a great pick up with some work to do , but it has lots of extra goodies on it , like the 3 inch exhuast systems , GReedy turbo timer and boost controller , body kit.

Hower im pretty sure thr tail lights and centre garnish are from a later model ...
What do you think?
Hey Kai if i could get a look at the GT broaucher thst wouls be great. 
Does anyone know which model/ year came with "retractable mirrors" came in ,  as i have to find a drivers door master window controller and the wrecker asked if i had retractable mirrors ... i dont know if the 1990 GT jap import does..? 
Dudeman
Supporter
Re: Import check 2017/04/13 18:16:28 (permalink)
Locked On

Hower im pretty sure thr tail lights and centre garnish are from a later model ...

Does anyone know which model/ year came with "retractable mirrors" came in ,  as i have to find a drivers door master window controller and the wrecker asked if i had retractable mirrors ... i dont know if the 1990 GT jap import does..? 

Yeah those tail lights are from late 93 start of 94 onwards. Retractable mirrors were an option, not every GT had them  afaik. 

I think you'll be able to tell if you have retractable mirrors or not by pushing them in towards the car, if they go in parallel nice and easy - they are not powered, if they won't budge they are most likely retractable.  

Kook
MR2 Master
Re: Import check 2017/04/14 10:47:28 (permalink)
Dudeman
So if you have a JDM bumper and don't live in a state where they make plates that fit i'd suggest you make some brackets to sit behind the plates so they can be nice and flat and seen by our friendly authorities. As I always go on about, keep your car nice and compliant with road regs, give the ticket writers less to write about for when that day does come - like I kept saying to a member here "Get rid of those blue LED's - you'll get fined" (he did eventually - fined, not rid of them…) some absolute traffic nazi goes all Rommel on your car... 

I know what you're saying but the only way to get a Victorian plate to fit would be to either get and ADM bumper or have a brack out side the bumper which would mean moving the lights too.

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think it's a fine. Pretty sure it's a canary and you just have to get it fixed and have VicRoads clear the canary.

And if you're car had retractable mirrors you'll have the button on the door
Dudeman
Supporter
Re: Import check 2017/04/15 08:34:00 (permalink)
Deevon

I know what you're saying but the only way to get a Victorian plate to fit would be to either get and ADM bumper or have a brack out side the bumper which would mean moving the lights too.

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think it's a fine. Pretty sure it's a canary and you just have to get it fixed and have VicRoads clear the canary.

Yeah I hadn't considered the lights. I know it's definitely a fine in NSW, three points as well. Fine is a big one too.

Kogashiwa Kai
MR2 Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points: 4604
Re: Import check 2017/04/18 23:55:51 (permalink)
Sorry for the late reply, been a little busy.
Unfortunately the brochure is this awkward, slightly wider than A4 size, so I wasn't able to fit it onto my scanner. It also doesn't help that about half the pages also fold out, making them three pages wide. So photos will have to do.
It appears the GT spec came with most things standard however cruise control, remote central locking, and a CD player were options across the range (the cassette player and radio was standard for the GT and G-Limited models).
As you can see on the spec sheet no GT-S model was available yet, there is only one turbo model.
The last page has a little pocket with a spec booklet and poster.
Hope this helps.
Kogashiwa Kai
MR2 Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points: 4604
Re: Import check 2017/04/18 23:57:42 (permalink)
Opps, i've noticed the images have been automatically compressed so you can't see the text.
So you'll just have to take my word for it :)
BriP
MR2 Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points: 1183
Re: Import check 2017/04/19 23:10:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Dudeman 2017/04/20 09:24:41
+1 (1)

your exact car details are above. you can find it by plugging your frame number into toyodiy's parts catalog.

also your gearbox code 734 is non-LSD. 735 is the LSD version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carmikey
MR2 Deity
  • Total Posts : 1964
  • Reward points: 5869
Re: Import check 2017/04/20 08:25:38 (permalink)
BriP
also your gearbox code 734 is non-LSD. 735 is the LSD version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E153/733 or E153/735 means that you car is quipped with a  Limited Slip Differential
Neringa
MR2 Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 1
Re: Import check 2021/09/17 20:35:00 (permalink)
Buying a used car?
Avoid the unwanted surprises down the line - provides the most comprehensive, insightful, and up-to-date car history reports for used cars in Australia
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:

© 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5