I've continued working on the trailer last weekend and this weekend. I've made some good progress so far.
First step was putting the suspension in the car. It sat wayyyy too high, the guard is 5 inches above the tyre.I fixed this in later photos by cutting the springs.
Temp wheels on until I can find some
The first step was bracing the chassis so that when i cut the tunnel and firewall out, it wouldn't get floppy.
Tacked the braces on and got cutting!
Sabre saw made life very easy. I still have some more trimming to do, but I wanted to get the majority of the material out of the way.
I did a fair bit of reading on draw bar design, and after talking to the trailer shop I decided on a hybrid single beam. The Beam will have some very short diagonal braces as a backup and additional strengthening. I opted for a 75x50x5mm piece of steel
The benefit of the single beam is that my turning radius in small spaces is increased greatly. When measuring the drawbar length up, I copied my 6x4 box trailers for length as it is easy to reverse and tow. The trailers tub will not hit my car at any point during turning.
Craig and the trailer shop had both informed me not to weld directly onto the top and bottom of the drawbar, as the bar would fatigue over time. I used some 4mm angle to mount the bar on the sides. As a backup, I will add two bolts that go through the intersecting points of the front cross beam and the subframe.
And yes, I did weld directly to the subframe. Since it doesn't' have an engine, I should never have to remove the subframe
Tomorrow I will add the hitch and do some more welding on the drawbar and chassis before taking it for a quick test in the yard with the subaru.