My whistling banana - bringing "VERBO" back
This is my car as it looks at the moment, with still the rest of the Veilside kit I have now grown unfond of
About 2 1/2 years ago I bought this little gem of a bloke in Darwin, Australia. The car was formly maintained and modified by forum user VERBO who sold it back in 2009/10. Its been passed around through a few boy racers hands. It was in a bad way. This is what it looked like when I first grabbed it
When I saw the car for sale I was immediately interested. I could see buying this car could potentialy be a big money pit, but as I was already invested in an sv21 Camry 3sge-t project, I thought at worst case this car will have many re-useable parts for the Camry if it turns out to be a lemon.
Turn's out the main issue where the lemon heads that had worked on this car for the last few years.
When I got it these where the main issues, back in Feb 2013
Gauges where not working - no speedo, no tacho, nothing
Coil-over's camber adjustment plates, 2 of 4 put in backward (Installed by DNT Performance...) Car pulled sharply to the left.
Lower ball joints stuffed
Rear spoiler and bar damaged, spoiler missing air blade
Front spoiler badly cracked on the left, looks like it has had many repairs over the years - at least 3 different colours of fiberglass and/or bog
Small ding in lower section of left door
Stereo not working properly, front speakers shorting in and out - also tweeters disconnected and replaced with co-axial's.
Rear speakers not working at all, nor the original subs (5x7's)
Boost gauge light not working
General wear and tear on interior
Heaps and heaps of grime everywhere
Lots of hoses and clamps need replacing, worn and rusty
Antenna replaced with ****ty aero pro install, does not seal properly and leaks.
Book leaks from screws from spoiler, not sure if it has a leak or it cold tracks, but causes condensation in the boot.
Passenger window control temperamental
A ton of bad wiring using speaker wire or super low gauge wire, with those poxy "squeeze and cut 1 into 2 connector" things
A lot of these issues where fixed in the first 12 months. When the car was mechanically sound I took it to the drags and did a 14.142 quarter, at 106mph, with a 60 foot time of 1.72. Was very happy for a first outing :-)
Since then I have also replaced the steering rack ends, front wheel bearings, rocker cover gaskets, all filters, coolant, half of the brake fluid, sun visors, and just general maintenance.
When I pulled the dash apart to look at the gauges I found this:
Scotch guard clips or whatever they are called, harness adapter plugged into a harness adapter, speaker wire used as power wire and other nasty's. Replaced all this quick smart. Tacho issue was swollen caps luckily. Turbo timer was just unplugged as was the boost gauge light lol
After this all was working bar the speedo, not sure what's wrong with it, but I know the sensor works - as I have been using the electronic read out on the steering wheel mounted turbo timer for now, trying to sort out a TRD item but funds have been tight this last year or so (been saving for a house) been living with the digital output on the turbo timer for now. Got the suspension sorted by pedders and got her regoed about a fortnight after purchase.
Since then I have acquired a few bits and pieces, and sorted out other little issues as they arise such as front wheel bearings, new tie rod and power steering ends, new sun visors, new splits, fixed up dogey wiring in various places too, fitted a Boost Cut Defender and turned the boost up to 14 psi from 11psi, got rid of the dodgey AFM Pod adaptor and fitted a proper Apexi intake. Also fitted a fan to the aftermarket intercooler, and just recently paid to have the front of the engine freshed up, with new cam and crank seal, new timing belt kit and new water pump. Also changed out the old sub box for a one more suitably shaped for the passenger. Fitted original antenna back in, need a new OEM wiring plug though as mine has rusted.
I'm sure there is more im missing, but probably minor. Plans for the future is to update the look from the "Fast & Furious 1" Veilside kit to either a Border body kit, or a TRD wide body kit at the front and something different at the back. Not sure as off yet, but there will be a bunch of carbon fibre items added to the build, which ever route I go.
Next up Power Phoenix Engine Hood and fans to be fitted as well as an oil catch can I have kicking around.
Here are some shots from a photoshoot a mate did that he used to promote his business
Thanks for reading
post edited by Rhyno - 2015/09/09 22:19:39