Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The MR2 Australia forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!Turbo sw20 Alternator tip for those with power steer!

Author
ANHI18
MR2 Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 4
2021/09/02 19:13:07 (permalink)

Turbo sw20 Alternator tip for those with power steer!

Hi guys, it’s probably already been discussed, however I have a 1989 sw20 factory import turbo GT power steer

The alternator is a round plug 100amp as it has power steer. I believe 80amp without power steer.

So had the standard signs, flickering lights, sputtering, needing to keep revs up to keep running, battery flat next day etc, battery light, fan light and cat lights on. Terrible performance under load and a loud groan under the engine bay that got louder with more revs.. so I deduced alternator was fried.

So for anyone else with this combo of a mr2

A 1990-2000 land cruiser 80 series HZ/HD alternator works from a 4.2L diesel it is a 110amp but swapping to the pulley from your mr2 should pull it back to 100 across rev range and if you have an aftermarket headunit or sub could do with the extra amps anyway
You will only need to swap the pulleys to make this work! The pivot bracket at the base is 58mm same as standard everything is the exact same. Save yourself reconditioning an old **** alt and just buy this. 240$ on a trade account at repco or 350 retail. Comes with a conversion harness to convert from oval to round in the box. Just completed this today and works perfect! All symptoms I described are gone.. did on the floor on jackstands with basic spanners/sockets.. not hard at all. Just need to take your time it’s not a race. Plus while under it I discovered I was missing a engine mount bolt and the other was halfway out lol.. also this video helped heaps!

Will post photos in following post

Part number for the OEX repco unit is DXA433U

Might help someone is all! Cheers

P.S did NOT need to lower subframe or anything just remove B pipe and with some paitience and turning and Tetris skills it falls through.. the new one is much easier to get in there weirdly enough.

2 Replies Related Threads

ANHI18
    MR2 Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points: 4
    Re: Turbo sw20 Alternator tip for those with power steer! 2021/09/02 19:28:39 (permalink)
    It’s not letting me upload photos will try later
    Admin
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 2349
    • Scores: 522
    • Reward points: 4996
    Re: Turbo sw20 Alternator tip for those with power steer! 2021/09/03 08:53:15 (permalink)
    Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Mr Glengineering.
    Please visit my other forums - 
    www.celica.org.au
    www.classic-ford.org

My build thread - https://www.mr2australia..m/mr2play/FindPost/47893

Jump to:

© 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5