Author
ashtwo
MR2 Aficionado
  • Total Posts : 347
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points: 1772
2011/09/26 21:35:50 (permalink)

need help with deciding on ECU

hey everyone just got my mr2 in for a tune and now the emanage is not communicating with the laptop! such a P.O.S. 
so have decided to go stand alone in which case i should have just gotten a bigger turbo in the first place lol but that's a different rant...

anyone got suggestions? would prefer plug-in as I don't want to have to mess around too much and would be doing the install myself, however if it wasn't too hard and worth the effort I could be swayed to a wire-in job.
at the moment I've come to the choice between link g4 plugin, apexi power fc (although my car is gen 2 so would require repin), or possibly adaptronic which I know nothing about and am yet to find if they do a plug in or how difficult they are to install.
cheers, ed 

22 Replies Related Threads

nuk1ear
    MR2 Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 669
    • Scores: 7
    • Reward points: 2224
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/26 21:43:10 (permalink)
    do it once and do it right. Adaptronic are hard to match for their price. Power FC (my opnion!) is junk, its ancient and is no better than ur emanage. Megasquirt V3+MS3x is also a very good ecu (esp for the money) but its very involving and DIY so i dont think this is for you judging on your preference towards plug and play.

Installation is the same with any ECU generally if you are fully wiring it up. You can splice into most of the standard harness but you will need to directly wire up a few things. IMO you should take this as a good time to have a really hard look at your 20year old wiring and judge (or just DO) if you should completely replace the whole harness and build a new one.

At the end of the day, an ECU is a great upgrade, but you need to choose wisely with how deep you want to go into vehicle electronics, myself, i prefer to do it once and do it all
    post edited by nuk1ear - 2011/09/26 21:46:59
    just_ace
    • Total Posts : 2426
    • Scores: 72
    • Reward points: 2390
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/26 21:55:24 (permalink)
    powerFC is the cheapest option for a plugin and is all most need.

then there's Vipec/link g4 around the 1600-1800,

wolf also do plug and play, but in general they didnt used to get such a good rap, tho that was older models.
    ashtwo
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/26 22:38:02 (permalink)
    yeah can't agree more nuk1ear would like to do it properly and get a quality ecu and also redo the whole wiring harness as it is pretty old and crusty, however rewiring would be a bit of an effort without having the engine out. I'm hoping to do this a bit later down the track tho once I get round to a forged rebuild.
    but for now I guess I'll stick with what I've got and get something decent that will future proof it for the power I want to make. from talking to robk it seems like the adaptronic e420d might actually be a fairly easy install, and at $900 or so is pretty decent for the money. could be a good option... just need to find the time!
    ashtwo
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/26 22:46:38 (permalink)
    just_ace

powerFC is the cheapest option for a plugin and is all most need.

yeah power fc would be fine for now and probably fine for later on anyway, is a good cheap tried and tested option... ahh too hard to know what is the best choice.
    i guess if adaptronic is not too hard to wire up that would be best as it is similarly priced with more features, otherwise the apexi would be the next best bang for buck option 
    blacky83
    MR2 Scholar
    • Total Posts : 195
    • Scores: 16
    • Reward points: 1251
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/26 23:39:14 (permalink)
    Heard nothing but good reviews about the Adaptronic, its what I'll be getting when I get to that stage. Decent price, local support, and finding tuners is not that bad.
    MRTurbo
    SA Moderator
    • Total Posts : 2908
    • Scores: 80
    • Reward points: 2207
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/27 09:22:18 (permalink)
    I'm with Nuk1ear on that one - the Power FC is old and overrated (save them for Skylines lol)... get the LINK G4 if you have the cash. I'm all for things looking stock, when they aren't.
    I'd also be looking at the MAP ECU 3 as it'll do pretty much everything you can throw at it.

1990 SW20 GT 3S-GTE Targa
    2001 Honda CBR600F4i

speedracer
    MR2 Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 203
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points: 1170
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/27 09:30:52 (permalink)
    what gen is your car? do you still have your stock ecu if so do you want to sell it?
    purple5ive
    MR2 Deity
    • Total Posts : 2350
    • Scores: 45
    • Reward points: 2132
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/27 11:30:15 (permalink)
    theres a few 300kw cars running PFC here
    nothign wrong with them
    they are the easiest to tune and setup, cheapest to buy and easiest to find a tuner for
    it does have its limitations but theres also a reason why a lot of people use them.

and as for them being ancient, so are the MR2s gen 2 in particular so they match each other perfectly. apfc will suit 90% of mr2 drivers
    in the end its ur preference.

quote:
    Originally posted by dasic1

Na wont be there. Going to a fight

come like my page
    https://www.facebook.com/Purple5iveCaptures#!/Purple5iveCaptures
    nuk1ear
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/27 11:42:31 (permalink)
    Wiring isnt that hard with the engine in, most sensors are up high on a gen 2 and just remove the whole harness and go from there.

Purplef1ve -  Maybe so, but IMO theres no point when for not much more you can get something with much more features. It does give you lots of options for tuners (PFC) but its just so boring, maybe you wanna control a water pump for your W2A system, or you want map switching, or you want to run low impedance injectors peak and hold, or (more importantly IMO) you want to run sequential ignition and injection with coil on plug (eg. 1zz coils) and possibly go for a single tooth cam wheel and seperate crank wheel using hall sensors for better timing accuracy......

That said, they are well known, easy to use and many many tuners can tune them.

But to me, yes there are many things 'wrong' with them. Theyre boring lol
    purple5ive
    MR2 Deity
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/27 12:18:33 (permalink)
    i guess those are all valid points as well, i seen this coming but wasnt quick enough to mention in my post that the fact of being plug and play makes a big difference in the game..
    yes you cannot do almost all of the above..
    but then again that much change from stock, isn't stock anymore (not using stock sensors etc, and adding more sensors, controllers etc.) so you will almost have to rewire and go a different ecu that is capable of handling all that
    thats the decision the owner has to make and which is what this thread is all about.
    another big factor in choosing an ECU is also how quickly it can be returned to stock (not many poeple bother with this factor) but i think its a big one especially if you live in VICTORIA lol
    Getting EPAed will almost guarantee you headaches for ANYTHING that's isn't PLUG AND PLAY. with the PFC and any Plug and play units all you do is unplug and plug the stock one back in and away you go (obviously not easy for bigger injectors, cams etc)
    trying to find faults are also easy by using the stock ecu and diagnostic ports (if you dont have the hand controller like me for pfc), easier to hide the ecu as it look stock and goes in the stock location (pfc)
    Reselling the ecu is almost a walk in the park etc etc .....
    with the non plug and play units its a bit harder, but the main advantage is you can remove and re-use in another/next car you buy or sell to someone else (easier to sell)

just pointing out some facts not trying to start a war here.....
    fyi- gen2 to gen 3 pfc will require a few wiring mods, so its not exactly plug and play....

cheers

quote:

come like my page
    nuk1ear
    MR2 Aficionado
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/27 13:08:05 (permalink)
    yeh cant deny that a PFC is very easy for install/remove, basically the whole reason why they sold so many i guess. Yeh on a gen 2 you need to do a couple of small modifications, nothing too major i guess.
    MRTurbo
    SA Moderator
    • Total Posts : 2908
    • Scores: 80
    • Reward points: 2207
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/27 13:16:05 (permalink)
    purple5ive

theres a few 300kw cars running PFC here
    nothign wrong with them
    they are the easiest to tune and setup, cheapest to buy and easiest to find a tuner for
    it does have its limitations but theres also a reason why a lot of people use them.

and as for them being ancient, so are the MR2s gen 2 in particular so they match each other perfectly. apfc will suit 90% of mr2 drivers
    in the end its ur preference.

Simply, they are not really good bang for your buck, as these days there are many more options than there was 15 years ago. I think people just can brag about a hand controller  - whoo hoo....

Purple5ive - didn't your engine blow up while you were trying to tune the PFC on a dyno?? sorry man but that would be reason enough not to get one. When you go standalone you lose all the factory safety aspects of the Toyota ECU.

Also, don't see the logic behind buying something that is outdated, just because the car is. It's like putting an old Pentium into your computer just because the case is getting old.

1990 SW20 GT 3S-GTE Targa
    2001 Honda CBR600F4i

TRD2000
    MR2 Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 570
    • Reward points: 1739
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/27 13:44:23 (permalink)
    i remember i was going to do the APFC thing a while back....seemed like a good option. Then i decided motec and ended up with a haltec.... and it's doing the job just fine!

all really depends exactly what you want from it... if you want to be able to remove it then maybe look at getting an adapter loom that lets you plug in whatever you decide on, ten put the factory one back in if you need...

1990 JDM SW20 GT http://www.mr2australia.com/MR2play/tm.aspx?&m=30305&high=trd2000&mpage=2
    2000 Honda VTR250
    2006 CBR 600RR telephonica limited edition
    2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
    purple5ive
    MR2 Deity
    Re:need help with deciding on ECU 2011/09/27 14:00:51 (permalink)
    Bottom end bearing  does not equal Blown engine.....

im not going to open up a can of worms here and point out every other ECU failure and blown engines resulting..
    Think 10 times next time you decide to suggest an ecu based solely on wethere on not engines blew up due to using it. cause thats the dumbest thing ive heard for a long time, hell you even outsmarted me on the post i made some days ago

and i wasnt the one trying to tune it on a dyno, the Tuner was, getting a tuner who knows how to tune the particular ECU is another story in itself..

And i dont have a hand controller on the PFC so no i didnt get it to show off to everyone and proudly display it on my cars dash...

agree with you on the many more options than 15 years ago for sure
    but as i said before all depends on what the owner wants the ecu to do.. and in this case he has already suggested he prefers a PLUG and PLAY option...

No point getting a lightinign fast pentium if all your going to do is send an email every now and then was all i was trying to say..

ill say one thing though
    make sure the tuner your are using knows how to tune the ecu your getting.
    No point buying the ecu just because it was the best thing ever or engines never blew up from using it or MRturbo or purple5ive said its the best ever period....and then hunting for a tuner that knows how to tune it.. might end up driving for hours to get the car tuned everytime and if the engine blows or somethign goes wrong and you cant drive the car, your fcuked
    Thats what happened to me..(but thats my mistake of not looking properly locally )

ill say again, the PFC is more than sufficient for a number of guys who have gone aftermarket ecu.. all depends on what your trying to achieve. in most cases its just a bigger turbo, injectors, cams, exhaust , cooler, intake and more boost PFC is plenty for that..
    on the other hand wanting to run all the above and push even more like nuklear mentioned, auxilaries, remote fans, E85 fuel, dual maps etc, then its a whole different story. i wont recommend any other cause ive only delat with pfc as thats what suited me

ill leave this discussion now as ive already said what i have to say, anymore and its going to turn into a PFC vs OTHER debate.

quote:

come like my page
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:

© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5